Chapter 31

Sunday:

"Mummy! Are you trying to make me look fair?" Sneha exclaimed with hurt clear in her tone as her mother put on some foundation on her face.

It was finally the day when she was supposed to meet Shashank. It was already 9 am and they were supposed to meet at 11 am. She had initially decided to wear her blue jeans and a cute white top that she had bought for the purpose of outings. But, her mother insisted that she wear a proper traditional kurti with matching leggings. She couldn't argue on that and thus, to let her mother stay at peace, she wore her light blue kurti and matching leggings with a scarf. To make her look more presentable, she even let her mother do her makeup.

"No, Sneha! Why would you think like that?" Her mother lied as she continued to pat lightly on her face to spread the foundation evenly.

"Then why are you using Priya's foundation on my face?" Sneha complained and held her mother's wrist to stop her from doing it further. She knew that she had inherited her darker complexion from her father while Priya had a fair complexion, just like her mother. And, despite what others said, Sneha liked her complexion. It reminded her of honey. It was a part of her!

Sneha's mother sighed.

"It's just for today, Sneha. What if he says no just because of your complexion? I mean, I know my daughter is no less in anything...but, I don't want him to say no just because..." Before her mother could complete, Sneha stood up angrily.

She couldn't fight or argue with her mother on this topic. She couldn't change her mother's thinking and make her appreciate her complexion.

So, she took the micellar water and with the help of cotton, removed the foundation off her face.

"I don't want a man who doesn't love me for me." She sternly mumbled and applied her own foundation herself.

"But Sneha..." Her mother tried to object gently, when Sneha turned to look at her. Her mother froze when she saw tears clouding her eyes.

"I know what your standard of beauty is, mummy. And, I am sorry that I don't pass it. I know I am not fair as girls are expected to be...especially of our region. But I am fine...really fine, just the way I am. I want a man who can appreciate my colour...and not tell me that I don't fit the beauty standards or I should change myself." Sneha said and turned back to the mirror to finish her work.

At that moment, Priya entered their room with a plate full of instant noodles.

"Didi, breakfast. And, papa told me to inform you that he is ready." She said and placed the plate in front of Sneha. Seeing the tense mood between Sneha and her mother, she couldn't help but ask.

"What's the matter? Did you two fight?" Priya asked, knowing very well that her sister rarely argued with their mother.

"No." Sneha mumbled quickly and took the kajal pen.

"Here. Apply this on my eye." Sneha said, and just like that, Priya got distracted. After all, Sneha couldn't let herself be a bad example for Priya.

.

.

.

"I'll pick you up from here, okay?" Sneha's father told her as she jumped off the scooty.

"Okay. I'll call you once we get done. Bye." She told him and patted her dress to remove any creases that might have developed during the ride.

Sneha finally entered the huge hotel after a quick security check. It was even more beautiful than the pictures and she didn't waste a second to admire the beauty of the place. Shashank had informed her father on the phone that he'd be waiting for her outside the entrance of the restaurant. So, she walked in the direction of it and noticed a man standing a few feet away from the doors.