Chapter 44

Viraj, who had been patiently waiting for Sneha to come out of her house, stood straight at the sight of her exiting the little building. She looked as beautiful as ever, even in the simple clothes she chose to wear.

He had planned to spend the entire night with her, doing things that couples do. And, in the task of planning, Gaurav helped him out. So, his business-oriented mind was set on making everything go as planned...by following the to-do list. It was only 5 pm, right now. So, he had enough time to spend with her, or so he thought.

A smile automatically grazed his lips as their eyes met. However, as she approached him, he could see that something was off with her face...especially her eyes. He was well acquainted with every visible part of her body, after all.

"Sneha." He mumbled her name as a greeting.

"Uhh...Hi!" She answered back gently and he could not be any happier. She replied to him as a normal human and not as if she was ready to kill him.

And then, he remembered something. He had bought the most beautiful and exotic roses for her, as it was Valentine's day. All thanks to Gaurav for giving him the idea or he wouldn't have ever known what was expected of him on this day.

He opened the back door of the car and retrieved the pretty bouquet.

"Here..." He said with a smile and pushed it towards her. The mere act brought tingles to his heart as he had never done this before. He had never given flowers to any girl before. He had seen his friends doing it, but he never felt the need to do it. But, at this moment, he realized its importance. He loved the surprise in his woman's eyes as she looked at the soft flowers. He would give it to her every day, just to see this expression again...and again.

What was she doing to him, he wondered.

"It's the day of the lovers, right?" Viraj explained his action and she held the flowers gently.

"Thank you." He heard her say...almost sadly.

It confused him even more. There was something definitely wrong with her. He concluded. Bending to her level, he tried to scan her eyes. Seeing him come closer, she closed her eyes quickly.

Viraj gently touched the bottom of her eyes.

"Were you crying?" He asked in a soft tone as if she would run if he'd raise his voice.

Sensing his polite tone, Sneha opened her eyes and looked at him. His question baffled her more. She never thought he had the ability to be gentle to anyone who was not his sister.

"Hmm?" He asked again when she just stared at him.

Now it brought a flood of fear to her mind. She couldn't let him know the truth.

"N.No. I...just...Uhh...slept...overslept. Yes." She blatantly lied and he wasn't stupid to not realize it.

Heaving a sigh, he nodded. He'd get ample time to discuss this later.

So, he brushed a small strand of hair behind her ear softly and spoke.

"You don't have to be afraid of me, Sneha. I won't hurt you...unless you betray me." He said. His statement was meant to make her feel safe. But, it did the reverse. Both father and son were threatening her in their own sick way! She realized.

In reply, she just looked down and pursed her lips. She just wanted her father to come back home safely. And, for that, she would practically do anything.

"Come." He opened the door of the co-driver seat and ushered her to get in.

With quick unsure steps, Sneha entered the lavish car. She was about to hold the seatbelt to buckle it when his warm hands covered hers gently. She looked up at him in confusion again.