802

Advice Request
This person is not feeling well emotionally.

Answered Submission
Hey!

It seems like you're not in a very good emotionally state, and we hope we can ease it a little for you, but you have to realize that no one other than yourself can help you to make your mental, emotional or physical condition better. Now, first things first, I think you should have a conversation with your mom about how her actions are affecting you. Tell her in all seriousness, cry it out to her, tell her while her mood is good, tell her in a private environment. Anytime you choose and feel you can let it out but at least once, you should tell her and get her stance on the situation as well. A conversation about your emotions is supposed to be a healthy exchange where you share your feelings, don't let it end up in an argument.

Also, I suggest you make friends with similar interests. It might be easier to find such people online than in real life, but keep an open mind all around. People are more open about their LGBTQ+ identity on the internet and express all sorts of other interests in games, sports, tv shows and books, so if you have a chance, try to just follow such people and ask them if you can be friends that can discuss your mutual interests. I'd be careful about being open about your identity in real life since there's a chance of more negative consequences.

Making a journal of your emotions is also a good way of letting it all out. Just write whenever you feel like your emotions are hurting you. Make sure to keep this in a place where your parents can't find it on the off chance they go looking for it. You need your privacy just as much as anyone. Other than that, you can try things that will make you happier. Things that can help your mental health and bring you happiness. Drawing, reading, cycling, sports, exercising. And I highly recommend you do mental exercises like sudoku or word cross or other puzzles. These exercises help sharpen mind and can keep you distracted and can act as a healthy outlet for your emotions.

If you need someone to talk to, I also suggest a counselor or therapist. Perhaps your school has a counselor or if you're an adult, you can independently go to one in the hospital. If you can't afford them, online therapy exists too and you can try talking to people there. Do try these methods and vent out your emotions. Don't act on your negative emotions though, try to act out on your more positive emotions.

Doing a kind act each day can help balance out your emotions. That is, if you help an elderly, donate money to a charity organization, visit and volunteer at an autism school, join and volunteer for the deaf community, give someone a chocolate, help out with house chores, or anything big or small—all these acts can stay on your mind and make you feel better about yourself.

We genuinely hope it gets better for you. Thank you for coming back to us again and trusting us with your request. Please take care of yourself during this pandemic.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team