841

Advice Request
This person wants advice on how to have a better school year.

Answered Submission
Hello,

Loud classmates can certainly be frustrating. I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with that. This girl you talked about also seems like a major stressor for you. While there isn't much we can do for you in regard to your peers, I'll do my best to help with what I can.

First off, if you've already been denied a class move from your form class, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do there but grin and bear it. Distracting classmates are annoying, but there's nothing you can really do about it that doesn't land you in a more uncomfortable position. It could be helpful to try talking to your teacher again and see if they can do anything to manage the volume better, or if you don't need to have your "listening ears open" if you get my gist, you can look into getting a pair of headphones or ear plugs to help limit the noise so you can stay focused a little easier. In fact, if that seems like a viable option for you, see if you can talk to your teacher about it.

As for the girl that you have particular trouble with, your best bet is to avoid her as much as you can. Don't engage with her, don't say anything that might set her off. If she comes to you trying to start something, either ignore her entirely or politely and diplomatically tell her that you can't talk right now and leave it at that. People like that might try to push a little longer, but eventually, they'll get bored and find something else to keep them busy. It's not a perfect solution, but there seldom is one. And if it really gets to be a problem and she won't leave you be, go to a teacher. They are there as resources for you. They are there to help you, and if she is negatively affecting your education then tell a teacher and let them help you handle it so you don't find yourself continuing to struggle on your own. But trust me, most people usually lose interest once you don’t show them any ‘interesting’ reactions, so practice acting bored or unbothered.

Wanting to have a better year than last year is an attainable goal, but it will take effort. Limiting stress from the above situations will certainly help. So will engaging with your friends and making new ones. Join clubs that sound interesting or fun, go to the silly school events, hang out after school or on weekends, and answer and ask questions in or after class. A great way to have a positive, memorable school year is to engage. Let yourself have fun. There will be unavoidable periods of stress, but there will also be numerous opportunities for good! Don't squander your time worrying about what might happen or when you might have an episode. Take things a few steps at a time and cross those bridges when you get to them.

I'd also like to encourage you to find someone you can talk to. You don't have to go through life alone. People help people. Open yourself up to your support system, be that family, friends, teachers, mentors, or a mixture. You have people in your life who care about you. All you have to do is ask, and they'll be there. Counseling might also be helpful in releasing pent-up feelings and stress if that is something you have available to you or are willing to consider.

I hope this helps, love. We at TAC wish you a wonderful school year and the best of luck! Feel free to message us anytime, and we'll be sure to help as best as we can.

Best,
The Advice Column Team