835

Advice Request
This person wants to be in the same 2 classes as their sister so that they can spend more time with her.

Answered Submission
Hello,

Wanting to spend time with your sister before she leaves for college is an understandable motive for choosing your electives since, in this case, you'll be sharing them, but I do want you to take into account what you are interested in as well. If you know you won't like Leadership very much and your only motivation for choosing it was to be near your sister, then I suggest either trying out for choir or picking a different elective if you're able to, now that she's not going to be in it.

If you can't switch to something else, then look into what you need to do for choir. Your sister might not be super enthusiastic about it, but it's your first year, and you should be able to pick classes you'll enjoy as well. I'm an older sibling, myself, so I understand not wanting to share classes or extracurriculars with younger siblings, but as an individual, I know what it's like to pick a class based on someone else and it not working out the way you'd hope. Being stuck in a class you don't like, with no one there to at least keep you company or share the experience is no fun. That is no way to spend your first semester of high school. You know you like singing, so I say go for it!

This is also a good opportunity for you to step out of your comfort zone. Talking to the teachers may be intimidating, but it's a good idea to be familiar with the staff at your school, and for them to know you as well. Don't rely on your sister to do everything for you even if it's scary. Push yourself!

I hope this helps, love. Good luck with your first year of high school, and feel free to message us anytime! You'll do great.

Best,
The Advice Column Team