887

Advice Request
This person is in love with their best friend.

Answered Submission
Hey!

It’s nice to have a crush, especially on someone you can be friends with because then that allows you to navigate your differences and common interests. For now, I think you should continue to passively pursue him and get hints on whether or not he likes you or not. Try to drop small hints about your good feelings towards him without calling it ‘love’ or ‘romance’. Continue talking and spending time with him while dropping the occasional smile, compliment, eye contact, gift-giving, etc., and see if he responds well to such hints. If he does, continue dropping hints and decide when it’s time to actively pursue him. However, if he’s not in the right headspace for it or rejects your advances, I think you should draw a line and put aside being in a relationship to continue being a good and supportive friend instead. You clearly care for him, yes, but you also should care for his well-being and decisions. If he's not ready for a relationship, take it in stride and respect that, regardless of your own feelings.

In regards to your mom having a bad impression of him, it might be helpful to take her opinion into consideration as well and don’t just outright reject it. She might have a valid reason for not liking him. Please remember your mom is first and foremost your parent and wants to look out for you, however, misplaced it may be. Have a nice, long talk with her to clear up any misconceptions about him. It's obvious that he's an important person in your life, just make sure your mom understands that.

Good luck! Come back again any time.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team