899

Advice Request
This person feels that their best friend doesn't wish to be their friend anymore.

Answered Submission
Hey!

The first thing you need to understand in situations like this is to never, ever guess someone’s feelings. Never decide someone else’s feelings for them. Don’t say things like ‘You must think I’m a bother or a burden.’ Maybe it’s true, but it might not be; they haven’t complained about it verbally. You have to respect them enough to let them decide and communicate their own feelings. Trust what they say. You shouldn’t guess around randomly and distance yourself.

Now, the only proper way to go forward is to talk to him. "Communication is key" isn’t a random phrase, and while cliche, it certainly isn't unfounded. Communication keeps the world going. Your friendship exists because you both talked to each other and maybe had common interests. Sit down, tell him about what’s hurting you and bothering you, and ask him if something is bothering him. Be a nice friend and see his perspective too. Maybe he’s going through something and needs your help too.

Don’t be scared of making your friend mad. Friendships go through a lot, and part of that is learning how to navigate through each other's feelings as well as your own. You will learn and become stronger through struggles. But don’t argue or shout at him, talk to him nicely. I’m sure he’ll do the same. Good luck! I pray it goes well for you.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team