863

Advice Request
This person wants to know if the guy they like also likes them back

Answered Submission
Hey!

That does sound like a tough situation. Unfortunately, there is no way to know that he truly likes you. There is a strong possibility that he may, but there is also a possibility he may not either.

I advise you to do a follow-up to your confession note. Remember when we talked about building confidence? I know you're shy, but the most important thing about every relationship — whether romantic, platonic, familial, etc. — is communication. It seems like you both are at an awkward standstill. He is likely feeling stunned by your note and is either not interested, is interested but doesn't know how to approach, or is still processing his emotions. Either way, despite looking at you, he hasn't reached out. You, on the other hand, are waiting anxiously and nervously — yet you are too shy to reach out. If you want an immediate answer, your best bet is to confront him (gently) about your note and crush. If you have any of his contact information/social media handles, you can also text or send a message to him, or you can try talking to him in person about it. If you're not too keen on that idea, you can also enlist help from your friends. Getting a friend to be a middleman in this situation may help to relieve tensions on both sides.
For now though, I suggest just leaving things be. There isn't much you can do at this moment unless you want to take matters into your own hands. When it comes down to it, he knows your feelings; he read the note but hasn't responded. He could be interested, but you have to be prepared for the possibility if he isn't interested either. Unfortunately, like you said, he might have said those things as a joke. It's up to you to prioritize your next step: talk to him, get a friend to talk to him, or just leave things be.

I wish you good luck and feel free to send us a message anytime.

Best,
The Advice Column Team