834

Advice Request
This person is starting a new year of school this week.

Answered Submission
Hello,

It's that time of year again. Welcome back to school! Again! And your final year! Congratulations, you're almost there.

Learning to balance school and social life is an important skill to master, and one that we all get better at over the years as we're forced to either sink or swim. Getting back into the swing of balancing your routine will come easy enough once things start, but I am happy to give you some tips and tricks that have helped me! My first suggestion is to get a planner. I prefer a physical book that I can write in, but there are plenty of apps that work as well. Right now, I'm using MyStudyLife, and it does its job, but I'm still partial to physical planners. At the beginning of the week (or semester depending on if you get a syllabus) put all listed assignments (readings, essays, homework, etc.) into your planner so you can refer back to it when you need them. It's a great way to keep track of assignments so you are less likely to get off track or fall behind.

On that note, making sure you stay on top of your assignments will make it so much easier to manage the other aspects of your life. Sometimes, we need a little extra motivation to get things done. Personally, I like to cross things off my list or planner because having a physical symbol that I completed a task is a good incentive for me. Find incentives that work for you! I like to budget breaks for myself when I'm studying or working on multiple assignments at once. When I finish one or reach a predetermined milestone, I take a 20-minute break to relax, and when the break is over, I'm ready to get back to work. Some people get too distracted by a break that long, so find a time that works for you. A friend of mine can only give themself 5-10 minutes at a time, otherwise, they get distracted and out of their working mindset.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I have for you in regard to study habits is to set a firm stop time. Cramming will only get you so far and pulling an all-nighter in hopes of cramming everything you might need to know for a test will seldom work out in your favor. Our brains get to a point where they can't retain any more information, and when you're tired and stressed you're much less likely to remember important notes. What I do is set a start and end point. If I want to dedicate six hours of study time in the evening, I'll start at 5 PM and I'll put everything away and get ready for bed at 11 PM. That way, I give myself about an hour to get ready for bed, shower, and relax for 20-30 minutes before going to sleep.

It is important not to neglect your health and well-being even when school and life get stressful. I encourage everyone to always give themself time every day, either in the morning or before bed or both, to just relax and focus on their physical and mental health. Sometimes, that means getting up earlier than we necessarily have to, but it is worth it. Taking 1-2 hours before or at the end of your day for self-care is beneficial to both your physical and mental health. In the morning, I like to make tea and read for a bit before I start my day. It's also a great time to meditate, do yoga or stretch, make breakfast, or journal. In the evenings, I like to do a craft (I'm partial to embroidery at the moment), read, or write while doing a face mask or listening to music or a YouTube video. These are all activities that help get me in the right mindset for whatever is before me, be it the day ahead or time for bed. Giving yourself time to recuperate and prepare is important, and it doesn't have to take very long. An hour or two at a time can be incredibly beneficial in the long run.

I hope this helps, love! If you have any other questions or advice requests, feel free to message us again! Good luck with school, and remember, as annoying as it can be, appreciate it while you can. Your last year is one to remember! Make memories, have fun, and stay on top of it!

Best,
The Advice Column Team