816

Advice Request
This person's friend wants to get an abortion.

Answered Submission
Hello,

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do in a situation like this. Whether she wants to have kids or not is between her and her fiancé, and so this is a discussion they have to have together. As her friend, all you can really do is love her and support her. That doesn't mean you have to agree with her, nor that you have to support whatever decision she makes, but that you support her and love her through it. You can give her your feelings on the matter, but after that, you have to let her and her fiancé come to a decision themselves and hold your peace.

Ultimately, her feelings on bringing children into the world are hers to hold, especially since it is through her body that any biological children would be brought about. Pregnancy can be a very scary thing, and maybe part of it is that she's not ready for kids yet. Should she ever decide to have them, it's  her body (and in some cases her life) at stake, and while not everyone agrees on the topic of abortion, it is a serious choice that needs a good deal of thought and deliberation before coming to a final decision. Maybe you can encourage her to speak with her fiancé about it, and take a little bit of time to think and talk over before making the final choice to abort or not.

I hope this helps, love. Good luck to you and your friends!

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team