894

Advice Request
This person wants to get over their crush.

Answered Submission
Hey!

Crushes aren’t easy, especially when you know your crush likes someone else. It’s okay to like someone and cry over it. That’s fine. It’s okay to like someone and feel sad and happy with any range of emotions. Your feelings are normal and valid, and you’re doing great at handling them.

If you want to get over them, the first and most obvious thing to do is ‘to not seek them out’. Don’t text them first, don’t go up to them whenever you see them and say hi. It’s basic manners and etiquette to be nice and smile and say good morning, but you could rush away somewhere else saying you have work to do, or you could simply say good morning or another simple greeting in passing and make no move to continue the interaction beyond that. The focus here is to distance yourself from them and watch how your feelings fade for them.

If they text you a lot, try to keep the replies short or say you’ll text them later because you’re busy. You can control your replies and interact with them. Be nice, be kind, reply to them, and don’t ghost them. You can still be friends with them even if you like them romantically, but while you are trying to get past those feelings, keep a border and try to keep everything short and quick.

Other common ways to forget crushes is by distracting yourself through hobbies and work and other friends. Try to hang out with others, do more house chores, and do some artwork or language learning. Fill up the space in your time to stop thinking about them.

Forgetting crushes is not easy and it’s okay if it takes you several months to move on from them. It’s completely fine to have a crush on another person and feel jealous too. However, don’t act on bad feelings and do something wrong.

There’s no quick fix that will help you forget them but distance, work, and time will surely combine to make you focus on yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your friends instead of just him. I hope everything works out for you. Please feel welcome to come back anytime.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team