860

Advice Request
This person knows what they want to do in their life but is afraid of the future.

Answered Submission
Hello,

Everyone is afraid of the unknown. Personally, I think that fact is one key feature of humankind as a whole; to some degree, we are all afraid of what we do not know or do not understand. Right now, you are at a point of great unknown in your life, and scary as that is, you're already on a good track. Having an understanding of what you want to do next in life is a great first step into this new Land of Unknown.

As for what to do in the meantime, take small steps. Baby steps. You have a lot going on right now (even if physically it doesn't feel like it), so the best you can do is what you can. Don't worry so much about being found, and instead put your effort into reorienting yourself. You are treading water with no sense of direction. So look up. The birds fly towards land and the sun sets in the west. Figure out where you are. Basically, you need to take a moment to reground yourself. Think about where you are and where you're going, and think about the first steps you might take to prepare yourself. You mentioned needing to prepare your body. Is there a workout routine you can implement that will help with that? Put a little research into the field you're going into, and see what you can learn from that about how best to prepare. Maybe try getting in contact with people who are familiar with Defense and/or have been in your shoes. We live in the digital age meaning we have near-infinite amounts of information at the tips of our fingers. Use that resource to your advantage.

Take a second to breathe. Try to catch your breath and observe your situation. Then do what you can. This is all scary and unknown, but that is just a hurdle to the future. I hope this helps, dear.

To sum it up, everyone is living their life for the first time. There is no right or wrong in life. I think it’s okay to be impulsive in some situations and trust what your heart wants at that moment. Do your best, and the rest will fall into place. Feel free to message us again anytime!

Best,
The Advice Column Team