Chapter 40

The drive to school the next day was a pain in the ass. 

I somehow missed my alarm and slept in, which meant I had to drive with the morning commute. 

And anyone that lives in Melbourne knows that Melbourne traffic is the bloody worst. 

I was better off getting an E-scooter to work then being stuck here in this stupid car stuck in traffic. 

I manage to get to work just in time for home group, so I don't even go past my office to drop my things off, instead I head straight to my home group class. 

If I thought my week could get any shitter well, I was right...

"Brandon, hand over your phone." I say holding my hand out so he can give it to me. 

"Oh why Miss?" 

"Brandon, just give it to me and I'll give it back to you at the end of class like nothing happened." 

"No you won't, you'll take it to the office." 

"Trust me I won't. The office is way out of my way, I'll give it to you at the end of class, now hand it over before I issue you a detention." 

"Come on Miss." 

"Are you refusing?" 

"Bro just give her the phone, you're gonna get it back after class." Brandon's friend Tom says and I nod. 

"Listen to Tom I will." 

"Fine." He says grabbing his phone out of his pocket and handing it to me and I sigh, as I walk back to my desk and take a seat. 

I pull out my phone to check it whilst the class continues to do their work. 

"Hey miss, what is long-term depression again?" A student asks. 

"Here I'll write the definition on the board." I say grabbing a whiteboard marker out and writing the definition on the board. 

"Okay so long-term depression is  a long-lasting decrease in the strength of synaptic transmission." I say. "That's part of the answer for question 2B I believe." 

"I also don't mind if you guys use your notes to help you answer these questions, it's only going to help you remember it more." I say and they all nod. 

"Let me know if you need any help." I add before taking a seat and continuing the work that I was doing. 

---------------------------

Finally, the bell goes for periods one and two.

"Brandon can I talk to you." I yell and he rolls his eyes as he walks over to me. 

We wait for the rest of the class to leave before we start our conversation. 

"You know I really should be taking this to the office right?" 

"Yes, I know." He says and I nod. 

"Good, let this be your warning, I see your phone again and I will take it to the office." I say handing him his phone and he nods, before walking out of the classroom. 

I sigh, getting up and gathering my things slowly. I put my stuff in a neat pile before going out to do yard duty. I am teaching in the same class room for periods 3 and 4. 

"Hey miss." Sam says and I smile at him. 

"Hey Sam how are you?" 

"Yeah good, how are you?" 

"Yeah I'm okay." I say and he smiles. 

"Upset about the loss last night?" 

"Could say that, what about you?"