Chapter 46

"Alright don't forget to do the questions you haven't finished for homework, I'll be going through them on Friday." I say as the bell dismisses the class for lunch. 

The day has been alright. 

Both kids and teachers are tired and worn out. Counting down the days and hours until that bell goes at 3:10pm on Friday, signalling the start of school holidays. 

Thankfully, the kids were respectful today which was nice. I don't know what was wrong with them all on Monday, but they just went feral. No one was listening, they were talking back, it just wasn't nice at all. 

I make my way to my desk in my office, putting my things down before grabbing my lunch out. 

I open my laptop and have a look at the lesson I have planned for this class today. I make little notes on the document so I know to further explain that topic as it is confusing for the kids. 

Once that's done I print it out, before starting to eat my lunch. 

I am scrolling through Instagram when I get an incoming call from James. I grab my lunch and my phone and head out to my car, answering it on the way. 

"Hey babe." I answer the phone as I unlock my car and jump in, closing the door. 

"Hey, you busy?" He says. 

"No I'm just on my break." 

"Okay good, glad I haven't caught you at a bad time." 

"What's up?" I say and he sighs. My heart starts beating in my chest, anticipating what he's going to say next. 

"Mum called me this morning to tell me that my grandmother past away." He says, his voice cracking and my heart breaks. 

"James. I am so so so so so sorry." I say feeling tears well up in my eyes. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm still processing it. I just saw her the other day, I didn't think that, that would be the last time I would see her. I'm still in shock." He says through sobs and my heart breaks for him. 

"I'm in shock too, she was a wonderful woman." I say wiping my tears. "Do you want me to come home?" 

"No, no, don't come home for me, stay." 

"James, if you need me I will come home." 

"No, I don't want you to, you need to work, I'll be fine." He says through tears and I sigh. 

"Okay just text me if you change your mind okay?" I say and he doesn't say anything. 

"Okay." He finally says. "I better let you go." 

"Alright, try not to stress too much, okay?" 

"I'll try." He says and I sigh before we say our goodbye's and hang up. 

I sit in my car for the next 20 minutes, deciding what I should do.

Should I stay? 

Should I go? 

I don't want to let my students down by leaving early.

But I know I need to go and be there for James. 

I sit there for another 5 minutes, before I get out of the car, running into the office where I grab my things. Once I've grabbed everything I make my way to the car, jumping in and driving to James' house. 

On the way I call the school and let them know I've had to leave early as there has been a family emergency. 

They were very understanding so I'm glad about that.