chapter five

I told you never to use alchemy without my permission! How dare you ignore my order? Your ability, the clothes you wear, the food you eat, even your body, all belong to me.”

‘If they’re all yours, then does your body belong to the previous Count?’

Valletta gazed up at Count Delight, trying to swallow the words that were stuck in her throat.

“I’m sorry. I had a feeling that the slave was going to die yesterday, so I used alchemy on him. It was a birthday present my father brought me, and I couldn’t leave him to die.”

“…”

Valletta deliberately chose words that would make Count Delight happy.

He frowned, his eyes narrowing, but for a moment he was silent as if he were satisfied with Valletta’s false answer.

“Even so, it’s a sin to use your ability without permission.”

‘Then everything in the world will be sinful.’

While grunting inside, Valletta bowed her head pretending to feel sorry.

“Yes, I’m sorry…”

Valletta thought that the idea that a child was a parent’s property because they had given birth to them was abhorrent.

“You’re forbidden to leave the room today. There will be no meals, so reflect on yourself.”

“Yes, father.”

Valletta nodded obediently, and Count Delight turned away, appearing more relaxed than when he first came in.

The curtains were drawn and the door closed. The room was dark in the blink of an eye, with only the sound of the door being locked.

“I wish I had a day.”

She couldn’t even use the ability she was born with. Valletta swallowed a sigh.The boy must be feeling better today. He had to take the potion tomorrow, then she would tell him to run away the next day. If she returned the bead and made an escape route, he would be able to run away.

While thinking of the plan, she lay back on the bed again. There was nothing she could do today anyway. Even in the room where darkness fell, she couldn’t open the curtains without permission. Valletta curled up like a shrimp and hugged the pillow quietly.

***

“Master, it’s morning.”

“Yes… 5 more minutes…”

“The master’s five minutes seem to last an hour. Let’s not forget how the poor slave feels when he has to listen to another ‘five minutes’ twenty times.”

Valletta’s face puckered up at the sound of a petulant voice ringing in her ears.

“Ugh.”

Slowly, Valletta woke up to find Reinhardt was very close to her face.

“You’re here again today…”

“I’m hurt when you say it so bluntly, Master.”

Valletta pushed Reinhardt out of the way, his face up to her nose. He didn’t seem to know that his eyes weren’t smiling at all, even though he sounded so gentle and kind. Besides, every time he tried to seduce her, he would often sneak up on her. Even when he dared to wake her up, he would put his face close to hers like this.

‘I think he’s trying to seduce me because I’m going to get rid of him. If you like him, you’ll die, Valletta.’

She swore out of habit before turning to face him firmly.