17

Reinhardt.

She knows that's his name.

However, Valletta did not call him by his name just in case.

She was worried that calling him by his name may create an unknown relationship.

She fears that an emotion like a feather coming down would sprout and take root without her knowing.

Like Valletta in the novel, she was afraid that she would fall in love with him and act as if she had given him a liver and a gallbladder, then be decorated like Valletta had in the end.

"You don't know how miserable it was for you to not be able to endure hunger and the pain, so you'd eventually get down on your knees and bow your head to your stupid father."

"..."

Valletta bowed her head.

Seriously, she did not expect him to remember all those embarrassing and shameful things.

I want to erase his memories by hitting him in the back of his head. Valletta thought sincerely.

To be honest, those were behaviours that she did not think too much of.

Count Delight liked it whenever she would get down on her knees. He wanted her complete submission.

She didn't have to keep her pride as she thought she would either die early or escape by marrying later on.

If she kneeled down and apologized, then things would quietly end, so she chose the easiest way.

"Master."

Reinhardt rose from his seat, circled the table and approached Valletta.

"I will allow you to be my one and only master from now on, so stay by my side."

He carefully wrapped her cheek with his hand, came up to her and whispered.

"Huh?"

Valletta's eyes widened.

"You refused everytime I asked you to run away."

At Valletta's words, Reinhardt's eyes slightly widened. He put on a slightly bitter smile on his lips.

"If I had run away from there, I would have suffered even worse."

"... What?"

Reinhardt smirked at Valletta's question. He slowly opened his mouth again.

"Magicians are born with an energy that is fundamentally different from that of ordinary humans. That heterogeneous energy makes ordinary humans feel disgusted and uncomfortable. That is why newly born magicians are hated for no reason. Human beings find it inherently difficult to accept something that is different from themselves, and newborn magicians are vulnerable."

Reinhardt said, stroking Valletta's cheek gently with his thumb.

Valletta could not say anything. She never thought that there would be something like that.

Reinhardt spoke again.

"However, you weren't like that."

"... I!"

'I was afraid of you too!' Valletta tried to shout. If only Reinhardt's thumb had not suddenly come down and pressed down on her lips.

"My master always made eye contact with me, talked to me, listened to me and never avoided my touch."