79

– North Kertonan 4th Village. –

The half moon in the azure sky illuminated the dead village faintly. All that remained of the village that had lost its people and vitality was pitch blackness and the presence of death.

Reinhardt stepped lightly into the land of the dead.

“Did they say this is the first place?”

From the entrance of the village, it was deserted, and once inside, the smell of blood stimulated his sense of smell. Curiosity fluttered in Reinhardt’s red eyes.

It was a small village, with houses lined up side by side. There were still traces of life here and there, and the bodies had been collected and piled up in one place, but not properly cleaned up. Of course, the bodies were of different shapes and sizes. Reinhardt’s head tilted as he carefully observed the corpses.

“That’s strange, whether it’s magic and or poison.”

Normally, corpses that died from magic and alchemy would look similar. If they die of rupture, there would be traces of rupture everywhere, and if they die from being torn, there would be traces of tearing. It meant there should be consistency in the corpses.

However, some of these bodies had their limbs torn out, while others looked as if someone had cut them with a knife.

“Besides.”

He looked around.

‘’It’s odd.”

Dead bodies, of course, attract living things. To be precise, they attract animals. The animals that smell the rottenness and blood come rushing in, and they farm the dead people. However, the corpses here were quite decomposed and exploited, yet there was not a single rat in sight. There wasn’t even a common ant in sight either.

Reinhardt walked towards the corpses, not afraid or peckish, as if a desolate village full of only unburied corpses was not scary enough. He lightly flicked his fingers. Then some corpses flew high into the sky.

The sound of fingers interlocking was heard once more, and all the corpses that had accumulated were laid on the floor. Without hesitation, Reinhardt stepped among the corpses and lightly touched them with his foot.

“Decay is decay.”

Why wasn’t there a single creature? By nature, animals are the ones whose instincts are more developed than their reason. If they feel intimidation that is stronger than they are, they instinctively avoid it, and if it is dangerous, they do not notice the smell. Humans can sense natural disasters that they can’t feel and run away before they happen, and there are even marine creatures that flee to land when there is an incoming storm surge or typhoon.

In other words, no one had a better ability for survival than animals. Instead of calculating in his head, exploring and predicting with science, he just naturally felt and realized.