34

It was late in the evening when Valletta woke up again.

It was then that her injured hand caught her eye. She slowly rose from her seat and took a step forward. Fortunately for her, the wound was not big and it did not get infected. She was cut quite deep, but the moderate pain kept her on her toes so it wasn’t too bad.

‘It’s still quite a while until midnight.’

Valletta sighed.

To be confined in this room would be a shame. The child got tired of playing, and fell asleep along with a book that was laying face down on his bed. As she got closer and looked at him, the title of the book caught her eye.

Valletta held back a smirk as she read the book’s crude title, [The Doctrine and the Origin of God].

If one would look closely, the bookshelf is full of books related to theology.

Valletta scratched the back of her head, embarrassed. Although she doesn’t have much knowledge about a child’s learning, this book seemed too difficult for a child to read.

Seeing that a few pages of the books were turned, it appeared that the child made quite an effort to read.

She placed the book on the table, propped up her chin and slowly read it. For a child, she was not sure, however, it seemed to be a good way to spend her time.

She curiously opened the book.

‘…It’s not fun.’

And in less than ten minutes she closed the book with a disappointed expression on her face.

She read the words that caught her eyes over and over again, but that was it.

The doctrine and origin of God… She does not believe in God, so it was a very bad choice for her to pick.

‘What should I do until midnight?’

There was nothing to do. It’s already evening and she doesn’t feel like going to the market. As she pondered over her thoughts, she sighed deeply and opened the book again.

Twenty minutes before midnight, Therion woke up. As if he felt Valletta’s gaze on him, Therion raised his head to meet her eyes, then bowed his head again in surprise.

“Why are you avoiding my eyes?”

“… Doesn’t it feel bad? My eyes are disgusting.”

“Really?”

Valletta propped up her chin and looked back at the child. The child was said to contain qualities of a magician, but no matter how much she looks at him, she doesn’t know what or how she was supposed to feel uncomfortable.