210: A King of Narnia

July 29th - Prompt: Always

-----------

"I'm really worried about him Peter." Lucy murmured. "He hasn't really - reacted to not being able to go back, not in front of me or Eustace anyway. I have a feeling he cries himself to sleep, but silently so Eustace doesn't hear and every time I go in to try and catch him he fakes sleep and buries his face in the pillow, and I don't know what to do."

Peter swallowed hard, before running a hand through his hair. "This has been going on for way too long." He mumbled.

Lucy nodded. "He just needs to let it all out." She sighed. "I know he wants to, but he just won't, not in front of me."

"I'll talk to him." Peter sighed. "Don't worry."

Lucy smiled gently. "I guess if he's gonna let his guard down around anyone, it's gonna be you." She said quietly.

Peter gave her a weak smile. "Is he upstairs?" He asked.

Lucy nodded. "In your room yeah." She breathed.

"Alright." Peter breathed, already heading for the stairs. "I'll see you later."

Lucy nodded but didn't say anything in reply.

Peter took a deep breath and headed up to his and his brother's room, knocking lightly on the door when he got there. "Ed?" He asked.

There were a few seconds silence before Edmund responded. "Yeah?"

Peter sighed as he opened the door, spotting Edmund sat on his bed reading a book. "Hey." He murmured.

Edmund glanced up. "Hey." He murmured back, before turning straight back to whatever he was reading.

Peter hesitated a little, before walking slowly over and sitting on the edge of Edmunds bed, getting a raised eyebrow from his little brother. "You know we haven't really talked yet." Peter said slowly.

Edmund frowned. "Talked about what?" He asked, lowering his book.

Peter shrugged a little. "About your trip to Narnia." He said.

Edmund seemed to freeze for a moment, before taking a deep breath. "Hasn't Lucy told you everything?" He said.

Peter sighed. "She has." He said. "But I want to hear some stuff from you."

Edmund frowned again. "Why?" He asked. "You've heard it all from Lucy so there's no point in me telling you anything."

Peter was quiet for a while, before biting his lip. "Lucy said you saw Jadis." He all but whispered.

Edmund went completely rigid after this, and was frozen still for ages, before he took a deep, shaky breath. "I did." He muttered. "But I don't want to talk about it, not yet anyway."

Peter understood this, and didn't push his brother, instead he opened his mouth. "She also said you could never go back." He said quietly.

Edmund seemed to stare into space for at least a minute, before shrugging. "Yeah." He murmured.

Peter sighed. "Ed I know what that feels like." He said. "And there's no way you're as fine as you're letting on, not if I know you."

"Well you don't know me then." Edmund muttered, shifting uncomfortable. "Because I'm fine."

Peter raised an eyebrow. "Come on." He breathed. "I know you and you know that, you know I'm right."

Edmund stared at him for ages, before sighing a little. "You're not gonna give this up are you?" He whispered.

"You know me too well." Peter said with a small smile.

Edmund bit his lip. "I - I'm struggling with the whole, not going back thing." He choked.

Peter nodded slowly. "We all guessed." He murmured. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Edmund sighed. "I didn't want to upset Lucy anymore." He mumbled. "She's going through a lot at the moment."

Peter stared at him for a long time, before sitting beside him and wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

Edmund froze for a moment, but after a while he relaxed with a sigh, if a little reluctantly.

Peter didn't do a single thing as he sat beside his brother, just hugged him close and waited.

Eventually, he felt his brother bury his face against his chest, and only smiled. "It's only me." He murmured. "Go on."

It took a while, but finally Edmund let it all out, the tears falling fast as he sobbed into Peter's chest.

Despite his relief that Edmund was finally letting go, Peter's heart broke.

He pulled him close, placing kiss after kiss to the top of his head and muttering comforting nonsense under his breath.

"No - No matter what," Peter whispered, his voice choked. "You will always be a King of Narnia, always, and dont you ever forget that."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆