322: Stay with me

November 18th - Prompt: Wolves

---------------------------

Peter took a deep breath as he dropped a pile of logs on the ground, stretching his arms a little before turning to face his brother. "That should do I reckon," He mumbled. 

Edmund nodded, standing and walking over, starting to prepare the fire. 

Peter knelt down to help him, but half way through, he stopped and bit his lip. "Ed?" He murmured. 

Edmund glanced up at him, frowning a little at the look on his older brother's face. "Yeah?" He asked. 

Peter hesitated a little, before sighing. "Have you enjoyed this weekend?" He questioned.

Edmund's face fell and he smiled gently. "Of course I have." He replied. "It's been nice... being, well, brothers again." 

Peter seemed relieved by this. "It has..." He murmured, before taking a deep breath. "Come on, let's get this fire lit and then we can eat." 

"Good," Edmund said with a grin. "I'm starving." 

Half an hour later, the two were sat down eating, the sun having just set and casting an orange glow through the trees. 

"I reckon the girls will be glad to see us tomorrow though," Edmund said. 

"They will," Peter agreed. "But they're glad we went away too, after all Susan was the one who recommended it." 

Edmund nodded slowly. "I'm glad she did." He breathed softly

Peter smiled at him, but he completely froze when a wolf howl suddenly echoed through the woods, leaving an eerie silence afterwards. 

Edmund dropped his spoon, his face suddenly turning a lot whiter as he heart skipped a beat. 

"Was that-" Peter paused. 

"A wolf." Edmund managed to choke out, before he swallowed hard, took a deep breath and tried to put on a brave face. 

Peter stood quickly, drawing his sword and standing in front of Edmund, scanning the surrounding area for any sign of movement. 

Edmund, after a moment or two of staring at the back of Peter's legs, took a deep breath and stood too, shakily drawing his sword. 

Peter wanted to tell Edmund to run, but he had absolutely no idea where that wolf was or even if it was nearby, so he thought he'd better not risk it. "Stay close." He murmured instead.

Edmund nodded slowly, almost subconsciously taking a step closer to his brother, his heart pounding in his chest.

Not only three weeks ago he'd had some awful experiences with wolves, the Witch had been awfully fond of letting them carry out some torture during the night at her camp.

Peter waited for a moment, unsure what to do, before not one, not two, not even three, but four wolves emerged from the bushes and from behind the trees, all growling and showing their teeth.

Peter took a step back, holding out his hand behind him to protect his brother and holding his sword point up, just like he'd been taught.

"Well well well," One wolf chuckled. "What a lovely surprise."

Peter took a deep breath, but didn't say anything in reply to the creature.

"The two Kings, all alone in the woods," The wolf continued. "Both with hardly any sword fighting experience, so both rather helpless."

Edmund bit his lip, it was true. They'd been in Narnia no more than four weeks, how would they defeat four wolves?

"I've killed one of you before," Peter said suddenly. "I see no reason why I couldn't do it again."