317: I didn't need saving

November 13th - Prompt: Fire

-----------

Edmund's head snapped up when he heard the fire alarm blare.

The whole classroom went completely silent for a moment, before the teacher stepped forward. "Right, everyone make your way outside." She said quickly. "Keep calm and don't panic, it's probably just a false alarm."

Edmund swallowed hard, but stood with the rest of the class and made his way through the school and out onto the field.

There was already a large group outside, filled with worried students and confused teachers.

Edmund bit his lip, looking around for Peter, who should be there.

After a few minutes though he began to worry... Where was he?

"There's a fire..." He heard one of the teachers saying to the headmaster. "Over by the library."

Edmund's heart skipped a beat... Peter had a lesson right next door to the library...

Hesitating a little, he ran over to a group of boys who were in the same dorm as him. "Have any of you seen Peter?" He asked quickly.

One frowned. "Your brother?" He asked.

Edmund nodded. "There's a fire near the library." He told them.

The boy sighed. "I haven't seen him no." He replied.

Edmund bit his lip, looking back towards the school.

"Edmund?"

Edmund bit his lip, ignoring his friend, before shaking his head, and dashing back into the school.

"Edmund!"

The three boys stood there, shocked as Edmund disappeared inside, not knowing what to do.

Thirty seconds passed, before someone grabbed one of the boys shoulders.

"Have any of you seen Ed?"

The three stared at Peter, eyes wide and mouth open. "He - He-"

"He what?!" Peter choked, worried now.

"He went back in to find you-" One whispered.

Peter's heart all but stopped beating.

"He couldn't find you... So he ran back inside, he thinks you're still inside."

"He what!?" Peter cried, voice cracking.

The three watched him for a moment, watched the decision be made in his eyes... They tried to stop him, but he broke free of their grips easily, and ignored the screams of his name as he ran back into the school.

He ran down the corridors, heart pounding, towards the library... Edmund knew where his last lesson had been, so that's where he would've gone.

It wasn't long before he was hit with smoke, and he quickly pulled off his jumper, using it to cover his mouth and nose so as not to breathe in too much.

"Edmund!" He called, "EDMUND!"

He carried on going, the smoke getting thicker the deeper he went, before he spotted flames up ahead, just peaking out from around a door frame.

"EDMUND!" He screamed again. "Ed you idiot! If you can hear me, say something!"

He took a few more steps forward, before, to his relief, Edmund came running out the room the fire was in, slamming the door behind him and coughing harshly.

"Edmund!" Peter called, already running towards him.

Edmund spun around, eyes wide when he spotted his brother. "P - Peter!" He coughed out, voice choked.

Peter reached Edmund quickly, and immediately noticed the state of him.

His face was black with soot, the edges of his shirt and tie were singed, and Peter was almost sure he had more than a few burns, although how bad they were he didn't know.

"What the heck were you playing at!" Peter cried, removing his jumper and holding it over Edmund's face.

Edmund leant into Peter's hold, coughing harshly. "I - I came to get - get you." He choked out.

"I was outside." Peter told him, already dragging him towards the nearest exit.

"I - I couldn't find you."

Peter held the jumper over Edmund's mouth and nose, so his words were muffled until they out ran the smoke, when he kicked open a door and pulled them both outside into the fresh air.

Edmund gasped the second Peter removed the jumper, coughing as he fell to his knees, struggling to breathe.

Peter knelt in front of him, coughing a little himself, but quickly recovering. "Breathe Ed, breathe." He choked out. "Deep breaths, in and out."

Edmund continued coughing for ages, before he lent forward and rested his forehead on Peter's shoulder, swallowing hard and trembling.

"That's it, breathe." Peter murmured, pulling him close and running a hand through his soot filled hair.

Edmund choked slightly, before taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry," He whispered. "I thought you were inside."

Peter nodded a little. "I'm just glad you're safe now." He whispered. "But you never should've gone back in, regardless of if I was in there or not."

Edmund pulled away, glaring at his brother. "I wouldn't of just stood there and done nothing." He snapped, voice firm.

Peter sighed, taking hold of Edmunds hand, only to quickly let go when he hissed and jerked back.

Glancing down, Peter found a nasty burn on the back of his little brother's hand, and swallowed hard. "Oh Ed." He choked.

Edmund bit his lip. "I'm okay." He whispered.

Peter sighed. "You're not." He told him. "You need to see a doctor, you're burned all over and you've inhaled too much smoke."

Edmund hesitated, but in the end nodded slowly. "Thank you," He whispered. "For coming in after me."

Peter smiled weakly. "Of course." He whispered. "And thank you for trying to save me, even though I didn't need saving anyway."

Edmund chuckled weakly, before smirking playfully. "You're welcome."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆