269: The Ghost of Winter - Part one

September 26th - Prompt: Autumn

-----------

"Tell me we're done for the day?" Edmund muttered, placing the last piece of paper on the rather tall pile and dropping his quill, rubbing at his eyes until Peter pulled them away quickly.

Edmund frowned at his brother.

"Ink." Peter told him simply, nodding down at Edmund's hands.

Edmund looked down, seeing his fingers stained with ink, and he sighed. "Well that's just great." He grumbled.

Peter smiled gently. "But to answer your question," He said. "Yes, I'd say we were done."

"Good." Edmund breathed, licking his thumb and trying to rub the ink away.

"You should head to bed." Peter breathed, slowly standing. "It's getting late."

Edmund didn't argue, only nodded and stood beside his brother. "You want a hand clearing up?" He asked, noticing how much of a mess the table was, ink pots and paper with scribbles covering the surface.

But Peter shook his head. "You go wash your hands and go to bed." He told him. "This won't take me long."

Edmund nodded slowly. "Alright." He murmured. "Thanks."

Peter smiled again, before picking up the neat pile of now signed papers. "See you in the morning." He breathed.

Edmund nodded. "Night." He replied tiredly, leaving the room quietly.

Seeming as it was almost one in the morning, the castle was pretty much deserted, besides a few guards posted here and there, and Edmund took his time walking back towards his room, after all he did enjoy the castle like this.

He turned the corner to another corridor that led to a flight of stairs, before stopping dead when he heard a clatter of what sounded like pots and pans.

He frowned, glancing up and down the corridor... No guards... But the door to the kitchens.

Who would be in the kitchens this time of night?

Placing his hand on the hilt of his sword, he wondered slowly back down the corridor until he reached the door, hesitating just slightly before quietly opening it.

It was pitch black inside, not even a candle lit, which confused Edmund even more, if someone had snuck down for a midnight snack, they would've at least lit a candle.

After walking for a few seconds, his boots hit the pots and pans that seemed to of fallen off the shelf beside him, and he found himself staring down at them.... literally every single pot and pan that had been on the shelf was now on the floor, and Edmund found this just slightly suspicious.

"Is anyone in here?" He asked, voice loud and clear in the hopes of finding out what was going on.

Nothing.

Edmund frowned deeply, looking around in the darkness, and gasping in shock when something fell to the ground right next to him.

He couldn't see what it was, but it had scared him, and now his heart was pounding. "Show yourself." He demanded, his newly perfected "King" voice coming through.