244: I'm not too sure

September 1st - Prompt: Horses

----------

Peter could only watch as the horse started, kicking out its back legs with so much force that Edmund, who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, was sent flying across the battlefield, where he hit a boulder and slid to the ground, eyes closing.

"Edmund!" Peter screamed, his voice cracking.

He fought his way to his brother, cutting down any enemy that dared get in his way, including the one running at his brother, clearly intending on finishing him off... if he wasn't dead already that is.

Peter shook the thought from his head, falling to his knees beside his brother and dropping his sword, but keeping it within easy reach just in case.

"Ed?" He murmured, cupping his brother's neck with his gloved hands, hoping and praying that he was still alive.

When there was no response from his brother, Peter yanked off one of his gloves and pressed his fingers to Edmunds neck, holding his breath as he waited.

He was beyond releived when he felt a pulse, but worried that it was weak.

Glancing at Edmunds stomach and chest, where the horse had kicked him, he already knew that his ribs would be broken, which wasn't good at all.

After five seconds, Edmunds breathing became noticeable, and Peter nearly burst into tears at the sound, forced and hoarse - it was clear it was a fight to just take a breath.

"Keep breathing Ed." Peter choked, unsure whether his brother could hear him or not. "I'm gonna get you out of here."

"Your majesty!"

Peter swung around, glancing up at Orious.

"It's nearly a victory." The centaur told him.

Peter sighed, and it was with a sinking heart that he realised he would have to stay here and help finish off the battle, as High King it was his duty to help his people...

But Edmund...

Taking a deep breath, Peter found a healer. "Get him back to camp." He said quickly. "And be careful."

The healer nodded, calling over a few others, who gently set about moving Edmund.

Peter stood, grabbing his sword, before taking a deep breath.

"For Narnia!"

☆☆☆

Peter ran, he ran and he didn't stop until he reached the Narnian camp, where he headed straight for the medical tent.

He burst inside, immediately spotting Edmund in a bed at the far end.

Peter weaved his way through the people inside, some healers, some injured, and stopped at Edmund's bedside, sitting slowly on the edge next to his brother.

He stared at his pale face for a while, before taking hold of his even paler hand, running a finger along his bleeding knuckles, tears filling his eyes.

"You - You know-"

Peter's head snapped up at Edmund's weak voice.

"I - I usually like horses."

Peter let out a choked laugh, pure joy filling him when Edmunds eyes flickered and opened half way.

"Now I'm not too sure."

Peter laughed again, knowing Edmund was only joking, before moving a hand up to cup his brother's cheek. "How you feeling?" He whispered.

Edmund swallowed hard. "Everything hurts." He mumbled. "And - And I can't - can't really breathe properly."

Peter glanced up when a healer suddenly appeared at his side. "We've done everything we can." She said softly. "Now we just need to wait for Queen Lucy, we are unable to heal his injuries without the cordial."

Peter nodded slowly, watching as the healer quickly rushed off to help a wounded faun, before turning back to Edmund.

"They - They said my ribs are - broken." Edmund choked out. "And - And I'm bleeding internally."

Peter swallowed hard. "That's why you need the cordial." He whispered.

Edmund nodded a little. "Yeah." He mumbled, words slurred now.

"You promise you'll hang on until Lucy gets here?" Peter said quickly, having a terrible feeling that Edmund was about to pass out.

Edmund smiled weakly at him, the smile hardly there. "I promise." He mumbled. "It's - It's gonna take a lot more than - than a horse kick to get rid of - of me."

Peter smiled back at him, nodding slowly. "Get some rest." He mumbled gently. "You're gonna be just fine."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡