214: You came home

August 2nd - Prompt: Gunshot

-----------

"Dad!"

Edmund ran across the battlefield, heart pounding, until he reached his father, who was gripping a gun in his hands, dressed in army uniform, and covered from head to toe in mud.

"Edmund." He breathed, swinging around to face his son.

"Dad." Edmund choked, flinging his arms around his father, not caring about anything else going on around them.

His Dad hugged him back, as tightly as he could, before quickly pulling away. "You shouldn't be here." He said firmly.

"I had to find you." Edmund choked.

His Dad shook his head. "You're not even eighteen." He muttered. "You shouldn't be here."

Edmund swallowed hard. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "I just had to."

His Dad only stared at him, and Edmund was about to say something, when a Gunshot echoed across the battlefield, louder than any other sound Edmund could hear.

His Dad's eyes went wide, and so did his. "Dad?" He whispered.

His Dad stared at him for a second, before he fell to his knees, eyes closing as he collided with the ground...

"DAD!"

Edmund sat up in bed, gasping loudly, sweat pouring down his face as he tried to wake himself up properly.

The sound of the Gunshot kept echoing in his mind, and he hated it.

He sat there for a moment, before the door burst open and the light came on, Edmund's Dad running into the room.

Edmund glanced up at him, tears filling his eyes when he suddenly realised it had only been a dream.

He was at home, in his room, alone as Peter was at University, and his Dad was safe, alive, back from the war, back for good.

He sunk against the pillows behind him as his Dad hurried over to sit on the edge of the bed. "Edmund?" He murmured.

Edmund swallowed hard. "Just - Just a bad dream." He murmured.

His Dad stared at him for a while, before pulling him into a hug. "And that's all it was." He whispered in his ear.

Edmund didn't care, he just clung to his Dad, never wanting to let go again. "I'm so glad you came home." He choked out.

His Dad smiled gently, placing a kiss to the top of his head. "Me too."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡