243: Better me than you

August 31st - Prompt: Lamppost

---------

"I love this time of year." Susan said softly as she glanced around at the snow, smiling down from her horse.

Lucy smiled too. "So do I." She breathed. "I wish Edmund did though."

Peter bit his lip. "It's only the second natural winter." He said. "Give him time."

Lucy nodded a little. "It's a shame we had to time this trip right when it snowed." She said sadly. "Edmund would've loved it."

"He would've." Susan murmured, before spotting the Lamppost up ahead. "There it is." She breathed.

Lucy brought her horse to a stop, leaping off and running the rest of the way, placing her hand gentle to the iron Lamppost and glancing up at the burning light.

Peter and Susan followed her, Peter placing a hand on her shoulder. "Brings back a lot of memories doesn't it." He murmured.

Lucy nodded. "Yeah." She whispered, smiling gently.

Peter smiled down at her, before frowning a little.

Susan caught this and frowned too. "What?" She asked.

"Do you hear that?" Peter asked.

Susan looked confused. "Hear what?" She questioned, her frown getting deeper.

"Like-" Peter paused. "Footsteps..." He went to reach for his sword, but then remembered he hadn't brought it.

This had been a peacful trip, so all three of them had left their weapons behind, after all there was no need for them.

"I don't hear any footsteps." Susan said, shaking her head slowly.

"Well I do." Peter muttered, swinging around to face the woods and pushing both his sisters behind him.

"Peter?" Lucy asked, sounding a little worried.

"Keep quiet." Peter warned, scanning the woods.

And it was then that he spotted the owner of the footsteps...

"Edmund." He murmured.

Lucy's eyes went wide and she laughed, and Susan beamed when they both spotted their brother.

But Peter instantly saw that something wasn't right.

Edmund was staggering towards them, hands clutching at his stomach, and his skin was almost as white as the snow.

Peter, not hesitating in the slightest, dashed forward, reaching Edmund just in time, for he collapsed into Peter's arms, groaning as he did.

"What are you doing here?!" Peter asked quickly, already trying to figure out what was wrong with his brother.

Edmund took a deep, forced breath. "Had - Had to - to save you all." He choked out, coughing thickly.

Peter was confused, and now extremely concerned when he found the three gashes going across Edmunds stomach, deep and bleeding. "What do you mean save us?" He asked, removing his cloak and pressing it to the wounds, hoping to slow the bleeding.