227: Follow

August 15th - Prompt: Don't close your eyes

---------------

Peter sighed a little, running a hand through his hair before grabbing his crown.

It was currently way too early for him to be awake, especially after such a late night last night, but he had things to be getting on with, and the quicker he got them done, the better.

But breakfast always came first, so after stretching he walked across the room and opened the door.

As it was still early he was as quiet as he could be, closing his door behind him as he made his way down the corridor.

He wondered where the gaurds were as he walked, but didn't really think much about it, after all there really wasn't much need for them nowadays.

Passing Edmunds room he tried to be as quiet as a mouse, if he woke his brother up this early there'd be hell to pay... but at the last moment, he froze.

Glancing at the floor, his heart skipped a beat when he spotted what looked like blood.

After a moment, he saw that there was a trail of smudged blood going off down the corridor and round a corner, and he suddenly felt extremely sick.

His heart pounding, he slowly opened Edmunds bedroom door, wincing when it creaked open.

He was almost too scared to look, but eventually he glanced over at his brother's bed, which to his terror was empty.

The sheets were pulled back, and what was worse, was the mattress cover was soaked in blood...

"Ed..." Peter whispered, his voice shaking as he spoke.

After a moment, he pulled himself together and dashed off down the corridor, following the trail of blood which had stained the marble floors.

He was walking, almost running, for a good minute, before the blood led him to a door which led out into the gardens, and he didn't hesitate in yanking said door open.

Luckily, the door led out into bright green grass, which clashed with the bright red blood, Peter easily being able to see where it led.

It got a lot harder to see the trail though when it led into the woods, but something else caught Peter's eye... footprints, but not human.

Peter could easily tell they were from a hag, and his anger rose at this, and he immediately drew his sword.

He followed the footprints and the faint blood stains deep into the woods, shivering a little in the cool, crisp morning breeze that came naturally with this time of year.

It felt like he was walking for an eternity, but it was really only half an hour, before he glanced ahead, and stopped dead.

There, a little ways ahead, tied cruelly to a tree, sagged forward with his head down, legs stretched out in front of him, was Peter's little brother.

Not even caring where that hag was, Peter ran forward, falling to his knees in front of Edmund, who choked slightly in fear.

Peter was shocked he was still awake, if only barely, but quickly took a deep breath. "It's me Ed," He murmured. "It's Peter."