268: His dying wish

September 25th - Prompt: Remember me

-----------

"Ed - Ed look at me."

Edmund froze, swallowing hard as he turned his head to make eye contact with his brother, tears rolling slowly down his cheeks.

"Take - Take a deep breath, and - and listen to me." Peter whispered.

Edmund shook his head, but stayed silent anyway.

"You - You have to get out of here." Peter whispered, body trembling from the pain. "Before - Before they - they come back."

Edmund let out a quiet sob, already knowing what Peter was telling him to do. "I - I won't leave you." He muttered, voice as firm as he could make it.

Peter smiled weakly, eyes fluttering. "You have to." He whispered. "If they come back - They'll hurt you too."

"I won't leave you!" Edmund cried.

Peter sighed. "I won't survive if you took me with you." He admitted. "You - You know that as - as well as I do."

Edmund swallowed hard, glancing down at the blood quickly spreading across Peter's front, staining his white shirt a dark red.

"So go." Peter whispered. "That's my last wish, go, let - let my last thought be - be knowing that you - you got away."

Edmund soothed him when he started coughing harshly, before taking a deep breath. "I - I love you." He sobbed quietly.

Peter weakly reached up and ran a shaking hand through Edmunds hair. "I - I know." He whispered. "And - And I love you - you more than anything."

The two were silent for a second, before Peter turned to Orious. "Make - Make sure he gets - gets home." He whispered.

Orious stepped forward. "Your majesty..."

But Peter cut him off. "It's - It's more than three days journey back - back to Cair." He said. "I - I won't make it anyway. So - So you can - can get back, without - without me slowing you down. I order you to take him home, and leave me here."

Peter's words were becoming slurred now, and Edmund was really panicking.

"I - I'm not ready..."

Peter smiled gently. "Of course you are." He whispered. "I - I believe in you Eddy, you - you'll be an amazing High King."

Edmund choked on his tears. "No," He whispered. "That's you."

Peter swallowed hard, trying to wet his throat so he could talk. "Promise me - promise me you'll get home - home safe?"

Edmund shook his head.

"Promise me!" Peter choked out, utter fear in his voice.

Edmund let out a sob. "I - I promise." He whispered. "I promise."

Peter nodded slowly. "Look after - after the girls," He coughed. "And please, remember me."

Edmund would've laughed in any other situation. "I'll always remember you." He murmured.

Peter smiled. "I - I love you Eddy," He coughed. "Always."

Edmund watched as his eyes closed, and it was at that moment that his heart sunk. "No." He whispered, gripping Peter's shirt like a lifeline. "No!"

He didn't even pay any attention to the sudden noises, indicating that the enemy were indeed coming back... But Orious did pay attention.

"We have to go your majesty." He said quickly.

"No!" Edmund screamed. "Peter wake up! Peter wake up! Please! Please wake up!"

Orious sighed, but he remembered Peter's order, and grabbed the young King.

"No!" Edmund screamed louder this time, thrashing against Orious' hold. "No! No! Let me go!"

"The enemy are nearly here." Orious said, picking Edmund right off the floor. "I have been ordered by your brother to get you home."

"Damn my brothers order!" Edmund screamed, still struggling. "He didn't have a clue what he was saying!"

Orious' heart was breaking, but he still began running, trying his hardest to keep his King in his arms.

Edmund continued screaming and thrashing until he exhausted himself, when he just began sobbing. "He's gone, he's gone, he's gone." He choked out. "No, No, No."

Orious glanced down at him. "I am so, so sorry." He murmured. "But his dying wish was that you got home safe, so I promise I will make that happen, no matter what."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆