241: Theirs

August 29th - Prompt: Brave

------------

"Think about who's side you're on Edmund, mine... or theirs." And with that she marched off over to her wolves. "Go on ahead." She ordered. "Gather the faithful, if its a war Aslan wants-" She stopped for a moment and turned a passing butterfly to stone, no regret or guilt on her paper white face. "It's a war he shall get."

The wolves wasted no time as they all rushed off back into the woods, all trying to stay on Jadis' good side by following orders straight away.

Jadis watched them go, smirking slightly before turning to Ginabrik, who was stood over by the sleigh, looking slightly wary after what he'd said before the wolves showed up.

"Theirs."

The two of them froze though at the whispered word, Jadis' eyes going slightly wider before she turned to Edmund.

Edmund was still staring at the stone fox, eyes filled with tears and cheek bright red from the slap he had received only a minute ago.

Jadis stared at him for a moment or two, before taking a deep breath. "What did you say?" She whispered, taking a few steps towards the boy.

Edmund took a deep, shaky breath, one tear slowly rolling down his cheek. "Theirs." He choked, actually finding the courage to turn and face the witch as he spoke. "Their side."

Jadis was silent for a moment, before the side of her mouth lifted quickly in a smirk, but it was gone as soon as it came. "Theirs you say?" She said, voice cold and cruel. "Any particular reason you would care to explain?"

Edmunds eyes closed for a moment, summoning up all the courage he had, and after glancing one more time at the frozen fox, he put on a determined face. "I see now you're the villian here, you torture innocent people and care for no one but yourself, not even your own people. I'm on Aslan's side, not yours. I regret telling you anything, I regret everything I've done since I met you, but I promise you will not win this war, you will not get my family, and you will not beat Aslan."

Edmund stared at her, glaring, but that glare faltered a little at the look on the witches face.

Jadis was frozen, eyes slightly wider, mouth open and a look of pure anger on her face. "How dare you talk to me like that." She all but whispered, a dangerous hint to her voice. "Did no one ever teach you to respect your elders and betters?"

Edmund nearly laughed... nearly. "You are far from my better." He murmered, although he hadn't realised he had actually said it outloud until Jadis was marching towards him.

She grabbed him by the back of his jumper and pushed him over to the edge, stopping so close Edmund felt sick.

"I'm gonna warn you not to test me Edmund." The witch snapped, pushing so that Edmund was practically leaning over the edge.

Edmunds eyes went wide in fear as he stared at the rushing river below, and he tried to find something to grab, but there was nothing and he was left hanging over the edge, the only thing holding him up happening to be the last person he trusted with his life. His courage disappeared in an instant, and he felt guilty for it, but the worry and terror that consumed him as he stared down was too much. "Please." He choked out.

"Not so brave now are you?" Jadis laughed, loosening her grip just a little and smirking as Edmund gasped.

Edmund took a deep breath, before swallowing hard, staring down at the rushing river below, not to mention the rocks he'd hit on the way down if the witch let go.

"Are you gonna keep your mouth shut from now on?" Jadis hissed.

Edmund choked a little, nodding quickly. "Yes." He whispered.

The witch nodded before throwing Edmund back down to the ground, so hard Edmund gasped, groaning when he landed.

"You're a coward Edmund." Jadis spat. "You will never be brave, you will never be strong, you'll always be a weak little traitor, unloved, and unwanted."

Edmund watched as she marched away, laying there, tears stinging his eyes.

He knew what the witch had said was true, or at least in his mind it was.

He wasn't brave, why he had tried he didn't know, the witch scared him, scared him beyond anything, and he wasn't brave...

In his mind he was far from it.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡
ALSO HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!!! ineffable_narnia ❤️💞💕