32: Meeting

Xie Rong met them at the entrance of Duke Dingguo's Mansion. He had grown to be an outstanding man. He was tall and upright, mature and steady.

In his memory, he had always been silently standing behind his two younger sisters, helping them to clear up all obstacles, watching them grow up without making a sound.

He was now more unsmiling than ever, and his expression was softer only when he faced Xie Zhen and Xie Xun.

Yan Yu was watching this silently until Xie Zhen came up the steps and threw herself into his arms.

She had buried herself in his arms and acted coquettish. She was already such a big girl, yet she still had the expression of a child.

She looked up and said something to him, her eyes full of smiles, soft and sweet, just watching from a distance made one feel warm from the bottom of one's heart.

Yan Yu gradually relaxed his grip on the scented sachet. He held it up to her and looked at her while gently stroking the patterns on the scented sachet.

She had always been half a head taller than him when he was young, but now, it seemed, there was a chance that he would finally have a chance of winning back the match.

He wondered what expression she would have when she saw him?

Yan Yu held the reins tightly and wanted to ride his horse closer. After taking two steps, he stopped.

What should he say when they met?

How to explain his identity?

He didn't fulfill his promise to take her to the other courtyard to fly a kite, but he didn't.

Was she waiting for him at that time?

How long?

Yan Yu looked at the doors of the Duke Dingguo's Mansion and did not take another step forward.

Xie Zhen followed Xie Rong into the yard, holding Xie Xun's hand.

She spoke to Xie Xun with a smile. It was too far away to make out the outline of her features, only the sincerity of her smile, as if she had gathered the beauty of the whole spring.

Why did she come to Beijing?

And why she became the The fifth girl of the Duke Dingguo's Mansion.

人越走越远,再也看不到了。

She walked further and further away and could no longer be seen.

Yan Yu stood in front of the Duke Dingguo's Mansion for a long time, not moving at all.

As the others passed by, they couldn't help but give him a curious glance, as if he didn't notice them.

It was only when the sun had set at the western border of twilight that he grasped the reins once more, turned his horse around, and left.

He has not yet built his house outside the palace, and still lives in the palace of the Qing Jia.

Other than him, there was also the fifth prince and the seventh prince. The other imperial brothers had all built their own homes outside the palace and didn't stay often in palace.

Yan Yu lived in the Chenshan compound in the middle of the Qing Jia Palace. When he came back, he had the horses taken back to the stables, and he went to his study and sat all night.

At night, the young eunuch, Yuan Quan, went in several times to take a look. Yuan Quan found that he had been sitting in the armchair the entire time, without even changing his posture.