58: Misunderstanding Cleared Up

Arriving at the study room, Yan Yu asked Wu Ze to gather all the things Xie Liqing had done while he was in Qing Zhou.

After Wu Ze left, he sat behind the desk and touched his face from time to time.

Xie Zhen's lips were soft and warm, touching his face with timidity and shyness, and he didn't even have time to look at her expression before she ran away.

He didn't know how he had thought at the time, so when he got hot enough to ask, he didn't know how to face Xie Zhen, so he hid himself in the study and spent the afternoon.

Wu Ze went to the Crown Prince's residence and brought back a lot of information. There were two stacks of documents.

The Crown Prince had recently investigated the matter and wanted to take advantage of this opportunity to get rid of Lin Rui.

Lin Rui is the eldest prince's henchman. The eldest prince was born of the former empress, while the former empress died when he was six years old. Emperor Yuan Hui had made him the crown prince, but when he was ten years old, he tried to kill his second brother, Yan Tao, and was found out by Emperor Yuan Hui. Then the emperor exempted him from the crown prince's position on the grounds of his brutal temperament, and he had changed the position of the crown prince to the second prince, Yan Tao.

Throughout all these years, the First Prince had been hiding in the dark, accumulating his strength and energy. It was unknown when he would bite back.

The Crown Prince had been afraid of the First Prince for so long that he had thought of ways to get rid of his men.

Yan Yu opened a stack of documents that recorded Qing Zhou's tax lists and military strength for the past ten years. He looked through the pages and realized that Xie Liqing truly had some skill and shouldn't have been left unoccupied at home.

He also didn't know what the Emperor Yuan Hui was planning. He didn't let him stay in Qing Zhou, nor did he give him any words of confirmation.

Yan Yu kept reading from day to night, and the last rays of light from the evening sun slipped down from the western mountains. It quickly darkened, but he remained in a posture the entire time.

At first, it was for Xie Zhen, but gradually, he was attracted by Xie Liqing's ability and skills. He didn't seem tired at all. With a jolt of his mind, he realized that it was already late at night.

He called Wu Ze over, rubbed his forehead and asked, "What time?"

Wu Ze replied, "Your highness, it's a quarter past seven."

It's so late.

He got up, with his whole body stiff. He held down the papers he had prepared and walked out of the room. "Has the Princess eaten yet?"

Wu Ze had been standing outside the door the whole time, as he did not know.

When he returned to the main room, there was an oil lamp burning in the inner room. Through the window, he could see the shadows inside.

Xie Zhen was sitting on the lady couch by the window, probably freshly showered. The servant maids was standing behind her, combing her hair. She tilted her head and sang softly.

Her voice was as soft as ever, echoing through the window and softly coming into Yan Yu's ears.

Yan Yu stopped abruptly. He had only heard her sing a song once before, and just that single song, he would never forget it for the rest of his life.

When he thought of her song, he would recall the first time they met.

He listened for a moment, then went in through the front door.