102: Punishment of Flogging

Inside the Palace Xuanshi, Emperor Yuan Hui was seated on a gold dragon throne, quietly observing the handsome young man kneeling below.

He was the assistant director of Military Department. He had a promising future and his own unique views. There was bound to be a lot of room for growth in his career in the future. If he were to marry the most favored Princess He Yi, it would be equivalent to giving himself a better trump card. So why did he refuse it?

Xie Rong knelt for less than an hour, and Emperor Yuan Hui didn't say a single word the entire time.

It had been so long that even Eunuch Gao, who was standing at the side, felt uneasy.

Xie Rong's back was ramrod straight, and his eyes quietly stared at the flight of steps below the Dragon Throne, not moving an inch. He had already made up his mind, with no signs of wavering on his face. The blazing sun was projected behind his tall and straight figure, making him look like a tall and lanky figure in the hall, stopping right under the Dragon Throne.

The Emperor Yuan Hui finally spoke out: "You are a precious princess, how could you not be worthy of a Minister for Foreign Affairs?"

Xie Rong said sincerely: "It is this subject who is unworthy of the princess."

"Since I've decreed that you should be bestowed a marriage, it means that I've taken a fancy to you. It is because I think you're worthy!" Emperor Yuan Hui was truly angered. He threw the imperial report onto the table and glared at him.

During this period of time, the Emperor Yuan Hui's health was not good, it was probably related to the deposed Ping Wang. After lying in bed for a period of time, he had finally recovered.

He gave a start, but continued to insist, "This subject has taken on His Majesty's kindness. Please forgive this subject for not agreeing to this marriage."

Emperor Yuan Hui frowned, "Are you sure you want to reject the marriage?"

He placed his hands on the ground and bowed deeply. "I am serious."

"Good, very good!" Emperor Yuan Hui glared at him fiercely and ordered the guards outside to take him down. "Xie Rong, you disobeyed the sacred will. Aren't you afraid that we will take your life?"

Xie Rong was quiet for a moment, then stood up straight. His lonely figure actually carried a bit of determination as he said, "If Your Majesty can take back the marriage edict, then this subject will be willing to accept the punishment." He paused before continuing, "I only hope that Your Majesty doesn't anger this subject's family. This subject will decide on his own, it has nothing to do with them."

Emperor Yuan Hui laughed coldly, there was no point in speaking any further. "Take him away and beat him up into a pulp for us!"

Initially, disobeying the Sacred Will was a huge crime that he had to face, let alone refusing the emperor granting the marriage. If it wasn't for the fact that the Emperor Yuan Hui had some feelings for him, and was worried about killing him, how could it simply be beating him to death? His chest heaved with anger and he could not calm down for a long time.

A few days ago, He Yi ran to the imperial study in tears, begging him to give her and Xie Rong a marriage. However, in order to force him to agree, the Princess He Yi actually thought of using hunger strike to threaten him. In these three days, she weakly fainted in the palace. Although he wasn't satisfied, he could only agree. After all, although Xie Rong's official rank was low, he still had a bright future. With his literary skills, he would definitely be able to accomplish a lot in the future. But who would have thought that after the imperial edict went down, he would actually be unable to differentiate good from bad and come to Palace Xuanshi to refuse the marriage the same day?