57: Begging

"I, I..."

Qing Xia spoke incoherently, stuttering.

He asked nothing but said quietly, "How dare you."

At the same time, Xie Zhen came out of the room empty-handed. Originally, she didn't want to take anything, but just to draw out Qing Xia. She stood outside the pavilion and quietly watched the scene.

Qing Xia turned back to look at Xie Zhen, then realized that she had fallen into a trap and revealed a pitiful expression: "Empress, why did you set me up..."

Xie Zhen was somehow amused. This was the first time she had seen someone who could turn black and white around. "Who are you? Do you think I'm trying to set up you?"

If it wasn't that she harbored evil intentions, how would she be caught red-handed?

Then, Qing Xia looked at Yan Yu and kneeled on the ground, holding onto his robe while begging for mercy, "Your Highness, please listen to my explanation ...When I saw you sleeping in the pavilion, I was worried that you would get cold, so I wanted to test the warmth of your hand. Please, your highness, spare me this time!"

That's a good reason.

It was a pity that Yan Yu didn't want to waste too much time on her, so he got someone to invite the steward here.

Steward Zhao arrived not long later, and he heard someone explain what was going on. Once he arrived at the pavilion, he knelt down before scolding Qing Xia, "You truly ate the guts of a leopard and didn't know what was good for you!"

Qing Xia drooped her eyes and said nothing.

Yan Yu called out to him, "How should we deal with this, you decide."

He got up and walked out of the pavilion, pausing to look at Xie Zhen as he passed. Then, sullenly and expressionlessly, he took her hand and led her into the room.

Xie Zhen felt guilty. She knew she was using him, so she let him pull her along.

Only the servants were left in the pavilion. Steward Zhao stood up and glared at Qing Xia without mercy, his face full of sarcasm, "You don't even look at your own identity, how dare you do such a thing in front of the empress' eyes! Now that you have such an ending, you can't blame anyone else."

Both of Qing Xia's hands were on the ground, her palms clenched into fists. She was extremely unwilling to accept this outcome.

No matter what Steward Zhao said, she insisted that she wanted to test out Yan Yu's temperature.

In the end, Steward Zhao was annoyed by her. Originally, he only wanted to lower her to a low-level maidservant and let her sweep the courtyard, but now he temporarily changed his mind. He wanted her to go to the southwest corner of the backyard to clean the closestool.

In the past, Qing Xia was still the private maidservant who served her master. It was good fir her food and shelter. If her master was happy, she might even be bestowed one or two pieces of gold and silver jewellery, making her look much better than the other maidservants. Suddenly, she was told to clean the closestool, which was even worse than sweeping the yard as a low-level maidservant. Her face was green and white as she tugged on Steward Zhao's clothes, begging for mercy, "No ...Steward, I don't want to go..."

Steward Zhao waved her hand away without any hesitation, "Either clean the closestool or sell you again. Pick one."

Most of the maidservants that were bought home and then sold away were not good choices to the rich families. Almost every day, they would be scolded by traders, and she had seen this before. What was even more terrifying was that they would strip her of her clothes ...