37: Building A Mansion

Even though Xie Zhen said she was going to learn to play heptachord, she didn't see her learn it for once.

Madam Leng For this reason, Madam Leng had specially bought her a heptachord, but she had only played it a few times.

Learning to play heptachord wasn't easy work. She needed the guidance of a teacher, and even more so, she needed to practice more.

But Xie Zhen didn't. She spent every day as usual, doing what she had to do. She seemed to be not anxious at all.

Even Xie Xun couldn't bear it any longer. She asked her three times a day, " sis, won't you have some practice?"

She was getting her nails dyed by Shuang Yu when she heard her words and nodded. "I will."

The petals of the daffodils were crushed into juice and covered with her fingernails. After a day and a night, they would be dyed in beautiful color.

The fingernails were like peach blossoms as they wrapped around her white and tender fingers, increasingly making her hands look as white and thin as bamboo shoots in the spring.

Judging from her expression, she really wasn't anxious at all. It was clear that the day after tomorrow was the banquet. She hadn't even touched her heptachord a few times!

Xie Xun knew that she wanted to take the lead in the banquet, not only to win recognition from the Crown Princess, but also to fight for her parents.

Right now, they weren't going well at the Duke Dingguo's Mansion. The Old Lady and the first madam didn't like her family. If they wanted to be valued by others, they had to rely on their own efforts.

But a few days ago, she was full of satisfaction, but in the blink of an eye, she was out of it.

Not only the two of them, but also the third sister and the fourth sister paid much attention to the banquet. They all were busy with practicing heptachord and heptachord. They hadn't been out for many days.

Since Crown Princess personally arranged the banquet, the people who would attend must be the daughters of influential families as well as the wives of the imperial court officials. Even if the scene wasn't big, people had to pay more attention to it.

This was a major matter that affected one's reputation, so no one dared to be negligent.

Xie Xun found that Xie Zhen did not care, had to remind her: " If sis continued to be like this, you will be at the very bottom of the list tomorrow ..."

She didn't expect that Xie Zhen didn't care at all, who held up a finger in a silent gesture. "Only the two of us know about this, okay?"

"You must not tell anyone about me not practicing the heptachord. "

Xie Xun didn't quite understand. "Why?"

She walked to the heptachord and twirled it twice in her embroidered shoes, smiling mysteriously. "Ah Xun, I'll teach you an idiom."

Xie Xun came over. "What is it?"

She held up four fingers and waved them in front of her. "Make a feint to the east but attack in the west."

"..."

Xie Xun thought for a long time, but she couldn't figure out what it meant.

But she would understand soon enough, because in the last two days, Xie Zhen had the teacher sit down in her place in the courtyard to play the heptachord, which was smooth and melodious and carried out of Jade Yard in a mesmerizing way.

As the servants of the Duke Dingguo's Mansion passed by, they couldn't help but stop and listen for a good while. If asked, the servants in the courtyard would always say that it was played by the the fifth girl.