Black Roses

(This chapter takes place between April 3-30 2004.)

314: INT. MICHAEL AND RACHAEL'S HOUSE (LIVING ROOM) DAY FADE IN:

Two months later, April 1st, 2004. Rachael is planning Paris' birthday party.

RACHAEL: Paris honey, what do you want to do for your birthday this year?

PARIS: Can we go back to Neverland yet? I wanna have my party there like always.

RACHAEL:
(Gives her a sad sympathetic smile) Sweetie, you're turning 10 years old, that's a big deal! Don't you wanna do something really special? If you could visit anywhere in the world where would it be?

PARIS: (thinks to herself) Nashville.

RACHAEL: Now how did I know you were gonna say that? (laughs softly and gives her a piece of paper and a pen) Here, go make a list of everything you'd like to do in Nashville.

PARIS: Ok! (takes it and runs off)

PRINCE: (knocks on the door)

RACHAEL: (opens the door) Oh, hey Prince, what's up?

PRINCE: I wanted to go over a few things with you now that the country album is done. I've been thinking about singles. I think we should release "Carry on".

RACHAEL: (nods) That's a great one.

PRINCE: "Telescope".

RACHAEL: (nods) Paris will love that! (takes a sip of water)

PRINCE: And "Wrong Song". By the way, who was singing with you on that one?

RACHAEL: (spits out her water in shock) (coughs)

PRINCE: You okay?

RACHAEL: (clears her throat) Yeah, it um... Went down the wrong way. Um, don't you think "Before He Cheats" would be better? Or maybe "Johnny and June"?

PRINCE: Well, those are great songs, but something about "Wrong Song" just feels like a hit to me. So, who was singing on it?

RACHAEL: Uh-um... It was one of Michael's sisters.

PRINCE: Which one?

RACHAEL: (to herself) "Crap! Who does,Mayte sound the most like???" Um... Latoya.

PRINCE: Really? Wow, she's really improved! Well, I think it's amazing. That should be the lead single from this album.

RACHAEL: If you say so.

PRINCE: Also, I thought we could release the album on May 15th to commemorate the first anniversary of June Carter Cash's passing, and release Johnny and June on June 23rd for her birthday.

RACHAEL: That's a nice idea.

PRINCE: Oh, and I have some news. I read in the paper that they're holding auditions for the upcoming Johnny Cash biopic, "Walk The Line". Interested?

RACHAEL: Are you kidding? Yes! Book me an audition!!!

PRINCE: Already did! Your audition is April 7th at 10 am sharp!

RACHAEL: April 7th, 10 am. Got it!

PRINCE: Good. (looks around) Wow, you've really fixed this place up. It looks really nice.

RACHAEL: Thanks, I tried to make it as homey as possible.

PARIS: (runs to her) Mommy, I finished the list.

RACHAEL: Oh! Let's see.

PRINCE: List for what?

RACHAEL: Oh, Paris wants to go to Nashville for her birthday.