Grieving

673: INT. PAISLEY PARK (KITCHEN) DAY FADE IN:

The next day...

RACHAEL: (comes in quietly and sits down at the counter)

PRINCE: How you doing Rachie?

RACHAEL: I feel... Numb.

PRINCE: Did you get any sleep?

RACHAEL: (Shakes her head) No... I kept waking up and thinking it was a dream. It just doesn't seem real.

PRINCE: How are the kids?

RACHAEL: They're still asleep. I don't even know how they managed to sleep at all. It took me two hours to calm them down, we just couldn't stop crying.

PRINCE: (Sighs sadly) They just lost their Daddy and you just lost the love of your life, it's gonna take some time to process it. You need to give yourselves time to grieve. And listen, you and the kids are more than welcome to stay here with me as long as you want to. I'm always here for you whenever you need me.

RACHAEL: (Smiles sadly) Thank you Prince.

PRINCE: Of course Rach. Are ya hungry? I made pancakes.

RACHAEL: (Shakes her head) I'm not hungry.

PRINCE: Listen Rach, I know you're hurting, but I know how you get when you're upset, you don't eat-

RACHAEL: (Sighs) Don't worry, I'm not gonna start skipping meals. I'll be fine. But right now I really don't have much of an appetite.

PRINCE: (Sighs) Alright Rach. Oh, by the way, Randy Phillips called earlier while you were asleep. He asked you to call him back when you get a chance.

RACHAEL: (Nods and sniffles) Alright, I'll call him. I gotta head to Hayvenhurst at some point today and figure out what we're going to do for the funeral.

PRINCE: You want me to come with you?

RACHAEL: (Shakes her head and squeezes his hand) That's sweet of you to offer, but I'd really rather do this alone. Would you mind staying with the kids? I don't want them to have to go through more than they already have. I know they're older, but I don't want them to be alone right now and I don't want them to have to be involved in the funeral arrangements if they don't want to be, this is already hard enough on them.

PRINCE: No problem Rach.

PRINCE, PARIS AND BLANKET: (they all come in and sit down at the counter)

RACHAEL: (Smiles sadly and pulls them all imto a loving hug and kisses them) Oh, hi my babies. You doing okay?

PRINCE JR.: We miss Dad.

RACHAEL: (Kisses his forehead) I know baby, we all do. Are you guys hungry? Uncle Prince made pancakes.

PRINCE: (Serves them) Here you go guys. Eat up.

PRINCE, PARIS AND BLANKET: (They start eating) Thanks Uncle Prince.

RACHAEL: I'll be right back, okay? I just gotta make a quick phone call. 

Rachael got up from the counter and went into the other room and dialed Randy Phillips' number.

RANDY PHILLIPS: (On the phone) Hello Rachael.

RACHAEL: Hi Mr. Phillips, Prince said I should call?

RANDY PHILLIPS: (On the phone) Yes. On behalf of AEG, we want to send our deepest condolences to your family, especially your children.

RACHAEL: Thank you.

RANDY PHILLIPS: (On the phone) And we would like to handle all the expenses for the funeral. I insist.