Opening Statements

A/N: Thank you to my best friend erikadestler94 for writing this chapter. Sorry I can't tag you, the app is being a dick.

372: INT. HOSPITAL ROOM DAY
FADE IN:

Three days later, February 28th, 2005. Michael is released from the hospital.

DOCTOR: Well Mr. Jackson, I am happy to say you have a full bill of health.

RACHAEL: (sighs in relief as she holds Michael's hand) Thank.God babe, that flu really got to you hard.

MICHAEL: (Kisses her hand) It really did sweetie. I can't remember the last time I was sick that bad.

DOCTOR: It's understandable.though Mr. Jackson. With your Lupus, common colds would affect you twice as badly.

RACHAEL: Well, with that one bump in the road out of the way, there's still one more obstacle to conquer.

MICHAEL: (Looks down to the floor sadly as he keeps hold of Rachael's hand) I kept hoping this whole mess was a nightmare brought on by this flu but now that I know it wasn't, I wish it were the case.

RACHAEL: (Turns to Michael and takes a hold of his shoulders) I know baby, I wish that were the case too. But I've been calling Thomas and he thinks he's found something that can help.

MICHAEL: (Crying) I hope to God this is all over soon, my heart keeps breaking every day.

DOCTOR: I'm not sure if this will help Mr. Jackson, but myself and the staff at the hospital want to say we're with you every step of the way. You brought so much joy to children every time you visited here. We don't believe all the horrible things they say about you at all.

Michael and Rachael looked at the doctor and smiled in what felt like the first time in months.

RACHAEL: (Shaking hands with the Doctor) Thank you so much, Doctor. You have no idea how happy it makes us to hear that.

MICHAEL: (Smiling while shaking the doctor's hand) Words cannot express how much we appreciate it.

DOCTOR: Bless you both and good luck today.

MICHAEL: Thank you very much.

Michael and Rachael leave hand in hand and head to the courthouse.

373: INT. COURTROOM (ENTRANCE) DAY
DISSOLVE TO:

Michael and Rachael arrived on time at the courthouse and were met by Mesereau at the courtroom entrance.

THOMAS MESEREAU: Michael, Rachael, good to see you both. Michael, good to see you in better health.

MICHAEL: (Giving a small smile) Thanks Thomas.

RACHAEL: (Feeling anxious) Please say you found something that can end this nightmare.

THOMAS MESEREAU: (Looking at the couple with pity) After going over all of the prosecutions documents, I can honestly say their whole case is a joke, a complete fraud. I'm hoping I can convince the judge to throw it out.

MICHAEL: (Feeling anxious) I hope the judge agrees.

The three of them make their way inside the courtroom.

374: INT. COURTROOM DAY
CUT TO:

Michael and Mesereau make their way behind the Defendant's table while Rachael stands behind them in the audience booth.

COURT OFFICER: (Shouting) Order! Order! The honorable Judge Melville presides. Parties have been sworn in, everyone may be seated.

Everyone sits down as Judge Melville enters through a side door and sits down behind his podium.

JUDGE MELVILLE: Good morning everyone.

EVERYONE: Good morning your honor.

JUDGE MELVILLE: Mr. Jackson, glad to see you in good health today.

MICHAEL; Thank you your honor.

JUDGE MELVILLE: We will begin the day with opening statements. The Defendant may proceed first.

THOMAS MESEREAU: Thank you, Your Honor.

Mesereau made his way out from behind the desk and stood in front of the jury.

THOMAS MESEREAU: Ladies and Gentlemen, you are here today to determine whether or not my client, Michael Jackson, is guilty or innocent of the charges that have been brought against him which includes horrendous crimes against children.

Mesereau paused for a moment to let his statement sink in. People in the audience were quietly talking amongst themselves.

THOMAS MESEREAU: Now, as we all know, any crime against innocent children is monstrous to say the least, but I can assure you that you will see today that Mr. Jackson is not among those monsters who would ever hurt children.

Mesereau pauses again for a moment.

THOMAS MESEREAU: As you may have seen in the past, my client has donated millions of dollars to children's charities to help improve their lives by providing them with food, clothing, and medical treatment for those who are terminally ill.

People in the audience talked quietly amongst themselves, some nodding their heads in agreement.

JUDGE MELVILLE: Now I ask you to ask yourselves, what kind of person who has devoted his life to helping children could ever hurt them?

TOM SNEDDON: Objection your Honor! Defense is trying to corrupt the jury!

THOMAS MESEREAU: Your Honor, may we approach the bench?

Mesereau and Sneddon approach the Judge's podium.

THOMAS MESEREAU: Your Honor, I have gone the Prosecution's so-called "evidence", and it is all ludicrous and completely unfounded, and I beg that you consider dismissing this case based on these findings.

Mesereau handed Judge Melville the documents with the highlighted points.

TOM SNEDDON: Your Honor, I think we should let the jury see for themselves and decide the verdict, that is the reason we are all here to start with.

JUDGE MELVILLE: I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Sneddon at this point in time. The case will proceed.

TOM SNEDDON: Thank you, your Honor.

Mesereau walked back to the Defendant's table looking disappointed, Sneddon on the other hand walked away and looked toward Michael and Rachael with a smug smile.

MICHAEL: (looks at him with fear)

RACHAEL: (Gives Sneddon a stink-eyed look) (to herself) "You smug bastard".

(A/N: Next chapter will be up when it's finished. The app has been such a pain in the ass today. Thanks for reading!!)