36

I rushed down hospital halls looking for the room Kakucho was in. If that old hag at reception lied to me I swear to god - oh there it is. I didn't even bother with knocking, I need to know. I need to know if he's really alive. I busted into the room and froze, doors silently closing behind me. Slowly Kakucho turned to me, his eyes were a little dazed probably from painkillers but he was here, he was alive. I released breath I didn't know I was holding. Once I found out he's alive I run here, I had to see him. 

"(y/n)?"

My gaze snapped to Kakucho. Now wasn't the time to get lost in thoughts. 

"Hey, how are you doing?"

I moved to sit by his bed. After few seconds of thinking Kaku replaied.

"... I feel like my head is stuffed with cotton."

I chuckle a little. It wasn't very surprising given that he just recently woke up from operation. I shouldn't even be here this soon, especially if when I'm not family member. But I wasn't going to wait to see him and the woman on reception might be unpleasant to talk to but not stupid. She realized rather quickly that I'm not backing down. 

"It's the painkillers, don't worry it should wear off in few hours."

Kakucho nodded and went quiet. I didn't start conversation either. I should probably let him rest. That seem like something one should do after being shot ...

"Fishes."

"What?"

I looked at Kakucho surprised, was he delirious? I mean it was possible, in fact I was warn that he might be a bit out of it. But fishes? What the hell?!

"Someone has to feed Izana's fishes."

Kakucho's expression was blank, it appeared that the necessarily to feed fishes was only thing on his mind in this moment. I knew he was still recovering from operation he and that he wasn't probably thinking straight with sedatives still wearing off. But fishes? He tried to get up and I gently pushed him back ignoring his protest.

"I'll go."

I wasn't sure why I said that. Izana's flat was the last place I wanted to be at. But Kakucho seemed dedicated to get the fishes fed even if it meant getting his wound reopen. And I don't really need him bleeding out now. Once I said that I'll take care of it he calmed and lied back down without complain. Good.

"The key is under mat."

I nodded. I may not know where Izana lives - lived, but at least I know where he hid the key. Lovely. 

"The fish food is on the shelf, be careful to not overfeed them ...."

Kakucho went on about how to properly feed the fishes and I let him even tho I was listening only half of the time at best.  Somehow right amount of fish food wasn't my biggest concern at the time. In a middle of very interesting explanation of why giving your fishes too much food is bad for them Kakucho's eyes started to drift shut. He struggled to keep them open but after he repeated the same sentence three times over I stepped in.

"Don't worry, I'll handle the fishes. In mean time you get some more rest okay?" 

For a second it seemed like he'll argue with me but then he slowly nodded.

"Thanks (y/n) ..."

I just nodded even tho he already closed his eyes. Alright, now I have to track down Izana's house but first I've got dog to pick up. At least I knew where Mochi lives. Getting there was easy, getting his dog down from me was harder. The moment I opened the doors I was tackled down by ball of fur half my height. I successfully got my breath hit out and it took me several minutes to got Rocky to stop licking me and to get off me. He might be a german shepherd but he got to soul and behavior of overly energetic golden retriever. And while I had no problem petting him all he wanted I would prefer to have him of my chest for that. Not to mention I had to go feed some fishes.