The Past Never Dies

Hisoka

Hisoka sat on the dusty floor, his legs pulled to his chest and chin resting on his knees. One thin arm wrapped around his shins, the other holding a small stick he used to draw in the dirt floor of the cell.

"This game is boring~" He pouted as he crossed an X in the grid drawn into the floor, completing the row of three he needed to win. Again.

"Awe hell!" The other boy threw his stick to the ground, ruining the dusty grid between them. "That's the sixth game in a row you've won!"

Hisoka shrugged as he watched the boy run his hands through the dirt to erase the marks. "I told you it's boring, this is too easy~"

The other boy looked up at him, his hazel eyes peering up at him in the dim space, lit only by a handful of flickering lamps. The dark stone walls absorbed most of the light, dust from the dirt floor dancing in the dim rays of light.

"It's only easy for you." The other boy grumbled as he started drawing another grid for them to play on.

"Only because you're so predictable, Remi~" Hisoka rolled his eyes as he twirled the twig between his fingers.

Remi's brown, coiled hair bounced as he looked back up at Hisoka. The freckles across his nose and cheeks almost hidden in the shadows, only extenuating his gaunt face and deep eye bags. His face, that should have been boyish and round, held sharp features. The boyish features carved out by hard muscle and hunger, fine lines already appearing under his eyes and around his mouth from years of hardship. A deep scar disfigured his left cheek and left half of his lips, the wound had barely spared his eye, leaving behind a gnarly red scar. He looked like a soldier, not a boy.

"Tik Tac Toe is a game of manipulation~" Hisoka sighed as he watched his friend draw a circle on the grid, on the outer corner just as he always did. "It's about manipulating your target to go where you want them to be~"

"No!" Remi argued as Hisoka drew his X on the opposite outer corner. "X's and O's is a game of adaptability!" He drew a circle on the far outer corner from his first circle.

The magician sighed as he drew another X  in the middle of the chart.

Remi drew his circle in the last corner of the grid, a broad grin breaking out over his face. "See?"

Hisoka blinked as he looked down at the grid, Remi had backed him into a corner. No matter where he placed his next X, Remi would be able to complete a row of three. He'd lost.

"Damn~" Hisoka huffed, scribbling out the grid with his twig.

"Some manipulator you are huh?" Remi laughed as he watched Hisoka redraw the grid. "Maybe I'm just adapting to you trying to manipulate me."

"Well, that certainly could be a problem for tomorrow~" Hisoka muttered, dropping his twig in the dirt and wrapping both arms around his knees.

Both of the boys fell silent, the air was heavy with dread for the following day, a crushing weight sat on both of their shoulders.  Remi paused before letting his eyes drift down to the dirt, drawing scribbles in the sand with his stick.

"I knew this day could come, but-" His voice drifted off, sighing as he looked up to the ceiling, peering at one of the many air vents. "Do you even wonder what it's like? Out there? Outside of these gladiator matches?"

"I've been out there, it's only marginally better~" Hisoka sighed as he too looked up at the air vent, wishing for the millionth time he possessed the strength to bend the iron bars and escape.