Festival Fun

1...2...3... *crack* 1...2...3... *crack* 1...2...3... Kinta counted the seconds between each lashing, she'd gotten distracted while cooking. And now her father was punishing her for burning his dinner. *crack* 1...2...3... How many lashings would she get? How many had she already gotten? Kinta didn't bother keeping count. *crack* 1...2... *crack* He was picking up the pace, which meant he was almost done. She'd learned to tune out the pain years ago, and now she sat there obediently on her knees. Numbly staring at the ground in front of her while her back was brutalized. *crack* 1...2...*crack* 1...*crack* 1...2...*crack*

"Next time, pay attention to what you're doing!" Her father roared before he stormed out of the room. Leaving Kinta to clean up herself and the bloody mess around her.

Kinta bolted upright in bed as he alarm startled her awake. She was drenched in a sticky, cold sweat and her hands trembled as she reached to turn off the alarm. She slowly slid out of bed, trying to ignore the phantom aches in her back from the lashings she'd just received.

"Ugh- I need a shower." Kinta grumbled as she felt the sticky sweat on the back of her neck and headed for the restroom. But no amount of scalding hot water made Kinta feel better, she found herself feverishly scrubbing her skin. Like she could somehow scrub away the scars from her past.

By the time she was dressed and heading for the dojo she was in a sour mood. Her fight wasn't until later this evening, maybe a little sparing with Buru would make her feel better. The streets were packed with people today, vendors had set up shop on the sides of the street, selling everything from trinkets and toys to food and collectibles. Children ran around, gleefully squealing with their sparklers and candy. There were even a couple street performers running around, a couple jugglers, people playing instruments for tips and one man making animals from balloons for the kids.

As Kinta rounded the corner she saw Hoseki leaning against the front doors of the dojo.
"Hi Risa." Hoseki waved as she approached. "Sensei tried to contact you but we realized we don't have your cell number. There is no practice today, Sensei wants us to enjoy the festival. But first, give me your cell number so we can contact each other."

"Oh, ah- I don't have a cellphone." Kinta smiled sheepishly.

"You don't have a phone?! Why not?"

Kinta shrugged, she'd never had one before. So she hadn't seen the use in getting one now.
"Come on." Hoseki sighed as she pushed away from the door and motioned for Kinta to follow her.

"Where are we going?" Kinta cocked her head and tried to keep her attention on anything but Hoseki's curvy behind. She'd worn skinny jeans today and a floral crop top with her purple hair loose around her shoulders.

"To get you a phone of course, not only do we need to be able to contact you. But you should have one in case of emergency." Hoseki led her to a vendor selling a wide variety of cellphones.
The choice was pretty easy for Kinta, she just needed a phone to make calls and texts with so all she cared about was the durability of the phone. She picked out a little flip phone that's waterproof and known to be extremely durable.

"There." Hoseki sighed as they exchanged phone numbers. "Now we can get ahold of each other."

"So what is this festival even for?" Kinta mused as they wandered down the street.

"I'm not even sure honestly." Hoseki murmured as they walked.

"Well, thanks for helping me get a phone. I suppose I should try to get some training in before my match tonight." Kinta turned to say goodbye to Hoseki but the girl grabbed her arm. And suddenly Kinta's heart was pounding in her chest again.