Chapter 022

| Welcome to the Road Onwards |

The train ride back was devastatingly quiet and eerie. Neither one of you spoke a word, one too lost in thought and the other too lost in drowning.

"Would you two like anything from the trolley?"

You looked over to the lady, who was pushing a cart along the hallway with some snacks and beverages. You point to the water bottle and signed for two, knowing Shinazugawa Sanemi was ignoring her. You bowed your head slightly as she leaves. You handed him the water bottle. He takes it wordlessly as you opened your own and drank from it.

~•~

*knock, knock* "Come in." You ignored the chilling shiver down your spine as you walked into your older sister's office. She looks up at you momentarily. You two stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds until she broke the contact, standing up. "Do not wait for me, I have a meeting tonight. We shall attend the funeral tomorrow morning," she says as she walks over, and stops besides you. "Look presentable. You are dismissed." She then walks away, closing the door, leaving you inside.

"Good evening to you too, sister. I have returned."

She was always like this, not giving you a care in the world. It makes you feel... what do you feel? You do not know.

~

The air was damped, it was cold and lonely. A befitting weather, one would say. You walked up to the casket, now seeing the injury that caused your comrade's death. It was gruesome. His stomach was almost completely gone and his left eye is completely stained with red. You grimaced at the sight. Oh how it must have hurt. The guilt was eating at you. You knew that there was most likely nothing you could have done even if you arrived onto the scene, his opponent was one of the strongest: Uppermoon Three. Yet it does not make the pain that you were feeling any lighter, it only felt more heavier. Your older sister then appears next to you.

You both stood there for a few moments before clapping your hands and bowed, silently praying. Praying that he be reborn into a new life, living healthily and safely. Praying that he may find happiness. Praying to the gods above to watch over his travels into the after life. When they started burying your comrade, you noticed Kanroji Mitsuri and the Rengouku family. You walked up to them and pulled Kanroji Mitsuri and Rengouku Senjurou into your embrace. That was all it took for them to start wailing into you. Your older sister wordlessly places a hand on Rengouku Shinjurou's shoulder.

Memories from the past replays in your head as though it was as if it were yesterday. You remembered Rengouku Kyoujurou warmly welcoming you when you were officially announced as a Hashira. You remembered going on your first mission with Rengouku Kyoujurou. You remembered trying many different kinds of foods for the first time with Rengouku Kyoujurou and Kanroji Mitsuri. You remembered tending to Rengouku Kyoujurou's wounds sometimes. You remembered sparring with Rengouku Kyoujurou with Shinazugawa Sanemi sometimes. You remembered Rengouku Kyoujurou's heroic speeches about saving humankind from demons. You remembered showing Rengouku Kyoujurou and Rengouku Senjurou around the Wisteria household. These memories that painfully loops in your mind are from the past, there would be no tomorrow nor yesterday.

"Kami-Sama. If you can hear our cries, please look over those that were affiliated with Rengouku Kyoujurou, and protect them from those that will do them harm," you say softly. "I ask of this selfish request that you watch over the Demon Slayer Corporations' too, so that we may vanquish the one that ultimately made evil, that we may end this vicious cycle of death in this generation-in this era." You gripped your hold onto the two, as you and everyone else oversaw the final pile of dirt placed over.

The Flame Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corporations', Rengouku Kyoujurou, is now dead. He fought valiantly against the forces of evil, protecting the weak. His chivalry and kindness will be missed and will not ever be forgotten. Thank you very kindly for your services that you have provided. May you rest peacefully and live in another fruitfully.

 May you rest peacefully and live in another fruitfully