Chapter 032

| Welcome to the Choice |

"Are you certain you both wish to go through with this decision?" Asks Kochou Shinobu, as she looks between both you and your sister.

"Even I too was taken aback," says your sister, briefly glancing up at you from the corner of her eyes.

You did not bothered to look into their eyes, in fact, you could not. You too were taken aback by your own choice even. You loved your grandmother, you (aside from Kochou Shinobu) were the only one who took care of her and made sure she was well; and now here you are, suggesting to pull the line. For five unchanged years, your grandmother laid on her bed, breathing slowly but surely. What caused you to change your mind? You remembered how adamant you were in securing your grandmother's life despite the odds.

"I wish for her to finally rest," you say after a while.

"Is that all?" Asks your sister.

"... For her to regain consciousness but to then be robbed of it due to demons, as a Demon Slayer and her grandchild, I cannot allow that to come to pass."

"A heroic reasoning, Y/N-San," says Kochou Shinobu. "Very well then. Please, if you two could sign the contract, we shall go through the process."

~•~

You could not hear nor see your grandmother's breathing no more. Her body is now cold, no longer both cold and warm. You walked up to her casket and knelt besides it. You grasped her finger, whispering apologies and thank you's. Apologizing for giving up on her, for gatekeeping her, for being selfish, for not allowing her to rest properly; Thanking for taking you and your sister in when no one else would, for loving and caring you and your sister, for teaching you and your sister the many wondrous ways of life and the world, for trying her best to raise two children that were not technically hers, for being the woman that she was. Tears were soaking your face, yet not a sound came from you. You felt a hand on your shoulder, you knew it was your sister.

"Have I made the right choice?"

You felt her hand stiffened. You were never one to strike a conversation with your sister, just as she; merely reporting to each other was the everyday normal between the two.

"There are never right or wrong, neither good or bad; nor ever so clear. One that determines a choice is up for interpretation. Do you think you have made the 'right' choice?"

"I... I am unsure." You look to your sister, asking, "What choice would you have made, sister? If you were in my place?"

"I would not be in your place as of now. I would have already been through this situation four and a half years ago."

You swallowed the lump in your throat. Of course. What had you expected? This is Fuji O/S/N, a woman who knows no remorse and shows no hesitation. Not a single comparison between you two, least your family name.

 Not a single comparison between you two, least your family name