carlos x lando (request)

The Mclaren garage was filled with horrified and fearful expressions as they watched the young British driver get taken away on a stretcher, the fire was being out as Charles was walked off of the track by a paramedic.

The rest of the drivers were pulling into the pits.

Their hearts were in the pit of their stomach after hearing about or seeing the accident.

"Lando, is he okay?" Carlos asks as he takes off his helmet and climbed up out of his car.

He rushed straight into the garage and watched the screens with the rest of his team.

"Charles is okay?" He asks next.

"Charles is fine Carlos" one of them reassured, but not one answered on the subject of his former teammate.

Carlos watched as the Brit was put in the back of the ambulance, he could only see briefly before the doors shut and the paramedics rushed into the front of the ambulance.

--- later ---

"Hello, sir?" The nurse asked at the front desk.

The dishevelled Spaniard looked at her, his deep Hazel eyes glassed over with tears.

"Lando, is he okay?" The man asks in a rough, croaky voice "can I see him?" He adds.

"Sorry, you'll have to take a seat and wait for the doctors to come to you" she frowned.

"No, no" he shakes his head I need to see him" he pleads.

"There's nothing I can do about that, please take a seat," she says more sternly.

"Okay, what about Charles? Is he okay? Can I see him?" He then asks.

His knuckles grew whites are he gripped the edge of the desk worriedly.

When the lady sighed and gave him the room number, he walked off quickly, dragging his hand over his eyes in an attempt to get rid of the tears.

"Carlos, is lando okay? Is he awake?" Charles asks while looking at his teammate with guilt.

If he hadn't lost control of the car... the Brit would be fine.

"I don't know... I can't see him" Carlos replies honestly with shaky hands "are you okay? Do you need anything, water? Food?"

"No, I'm good..." Charles looked down at the ground "I'm waiting on the doctor to get back..." He adds as he lies on the hospital bed.

"What happened?" Carlos then asked, "you lose control?" He questions earning a nod from Charles.

"I couldn't... control the steering, the car wouldn't turn" he explains faintly.

Carl just nodded slowly, processing what had happened to both of his best friends.

"Mr Sainz?" The doctor questions "sorry to interrupt but I was told you were here to see Lando?"

Carlos stood up immediately and looked at the door "yes, is he okay? What's happened?" He asked.

"He's in a coma... I'm sorry sir" he apologised and shifted awkwardly on his feet.

Carlos's mouth opened to speak, but nothing came out just empty words.

His eyes were slightly widened, and he could almost hear his heart shattering by the second, he had questions to ask. He had things to say but his body wouldn't comply with what he wanted it to.

He could only stand in the middle of the hospital room like a fool fighting tears that battled to fall.

He was against the screaming thoughts and words in his head trying to find some sort of sense, some sort of why? Or just an answer of any kind.

"Do you know how long?" Charles asks from behind but Carlos can barely hear his teammate.

His mouth finally closed only to bite his gum so the tears wouldn't fall.

"We're not quite sure... months maybe up to a year? It could be more it was a terrible crash" he spoke honestly.

A year? Months?

Why so long?

"Can I..." Carlos cleared his throat, swallowing the thick lump in his throat "Can I see him?" He asked again, clearly, so he was heard.

"Of course... follow me" the doctor nodded.

"Carl?" He heard Charles call, his head turned slightly gesturing to let him know he was listening but he couldn't look at him "I'm sorry." He almost whispered.

Carlos wanted to tell him it was okay, that it wasn't his fault.

But he couldn't.

There was too much emotion he was feeling and he felt as though he would only snap and say something he regretted.
So he just nods and walks away.

- - - - -

When he followed the doctor and entered the room alone, he didn't look straight up from the ground.

He wasn't sure what awaited him on the hospital bed.

He took a sharp breath, his hands trembling at his side as he slowly looks up readying himself for the sight.

His eyes first landed on the monitors, the beeping... the awful sound that always filled the movie scenes before the family was told the patient was dead...

And then he spotted the tubes... probably helping him and keeping him alive...

And then.

Finally.

They landed on the young man laying unconscious, he always spoke about sleeping for ages and not being disturbed.

And Carlos had told him to be careful, he might regret it one day, of course, it was a joke.

Who knew it would become their reality?

"Oh, Lando..." He finally whispered, he made a choked sound as he tried to breathe while forcing back tears.
He strode to the boy's side and sat in the chair, immediately wrapping the Brit's hand in his, own pair with a gentle hold, too scared that if he holds it too tight, he would break him.

"I'm so sorry..." He choked out, forehead on the top of his own hand with his eyes closed.

He clenched his teeth together to bite back the sobs threatening his throat. He knew if he started crying, he might never stop, he might not even try to stop himself.

But he couldn't let himself break, it wasn't him in the hospital bed. He had no right to feel this way.

He could only come and visit every day and pray to whoever is listening, that he hurries up and opens his eyes again.

(A/n there will be a part two in a few days :)