Chapter 9

“Didn’t know you were one to cuss Roseanne. I was gone for a day and you’re already losing touch with your decent self.” She chuckled sitting beside me. Keeping her tone harsh “I fell off my bike” she lied. I knew she was lying. The girl would never fall off her bike. She was far too good on it. And I’m not an idiot.

“Don’t lie” I say looking at the last bit of the sun setting behind the hills. “Your bike is perfectly fine and so are your pants. What’s not fine is your face and fist. So what happened?” I asked having full control of this conversation.

“Holy fuck. Make way for detective Roseanne” she said reaching for a bottle of what seemed like vodka or tequila. Whatever it was, the girl drank it like it was nothing. “If you just came out here to interrogate me then fuck off”

I’m not going to leave. I want to know her whereabouts. And there is nothing better to do. I can either deal with her, Sehun or her crying mother. Surprisingly my best option is in fact the girl. Who doesn’t seem to have emotions I have to deal with. She handed me the bottle and without a second thought I took a big sip of it. Filling my mouth with the bitter taste of Tequila, my first instinct was to spit it out. My second instinct was to force it down my throat and not show any signs of weakness. The girl chuckled then pointed to my bandaged palm. “I picked up the glass and cut myself” I shrugged taking another sip.

“What glass?” She asked taking back the bottle from me.

“The one you threw all over the kitchen floor. Obviously” I told her.

“Oh fuck. Are you alright?” She asked taking my hand in hers. Instead of retracting it I looked at her hand. That was filled with dirt, cuts and her fists seemed as if they had dried blood on them. Then I looked up to her face. It looked worse then what I thought it was. One of her eyes was swollen and so was her bottom lip. The girl looked up at me, locking our eyes very closely. My body wanted to turn around but I didn’t. The girl smelled of some sort of gasoline or smoke. Her lips were cut, her eyes looked straight at mine almost letting the fact that one of them was purple, slip by.

Knowing I still haven’t looked away gave me an urge to... do nothing. Nothing. The girl was still holding on to my bandaged hand. Her thumb began to caress it and I thought I felt something in my gut but quickly pushed it away and took my hand back. The girl cleared her throat and turned away reaching for her bottle again. We fell in silence. Some sort of tension between the two of us. So strong it felt as if there was something standing between us. Stopping either one from moving or talking.

“Did you get in a fight?” I asked leaning in closer to the fire.

The girl turned to look at me continuing to drink. How can she drink so much as if it’s nothing? The small portion I previously took was beginning to kick in somehow. My cheeks felt hot and my heart was quickening. Something told me it wasn’t the alcohol causing that, rather a certain person. “Why do you care?” She sighed putting the bottle in the space between us.

Without putting much thought into it, I took the bottle and welcomed another strong portion into my mouth. “I’m curious” I say turning to face her. The girl looked at me in surprise “what?”

“I didn’t think a woman like you would drink so much” she said taking the bottle away from me. Yet again referring to me as a woman. A woman like me. I’m not sure what she means by that, this time she used it, it didn’t seem as nice as the first time it was used. “I did” she simply said throwing more paper into the fire. Her hood was on, failing to cover those wounds.

“Why?” I asked holding in how bitter that drink had been. The girl shrugged pushing away my question. “Is that why you were out so long?”

“Why do you ask so many fucking questions. Don’t be nosy”