Chapter 6

I'm cold. Very cold. The feeling of the warm bedsheets around my cold body is all I'm yearning for. But instead this is what I'm doing. Following the girl into the forest next to the house. I should have known since the second she gave me that mischievous look that it wouldn't be such a bright idea. Instead of doing what regular Roseanne Park would, I stepped out of my comfort zone because it felt... right. Something about the way she proposed the idea made it nearly irresistible to say no to.

All the girl had said was to trust her and follow close behind her. I didn't think I'd need my phone so it's back in my room. The only thing we had was her flashlight which was extremely bright for how small it is. Once we entered the forest I felt a bit afraid and wanted to turn back. Showing the girl any sign of weakness makes me that much less compared to how reckless she seems to be. So I went ahead behind her. The only thing clear is the full moon above us, the gentle cold air against our bodies and how close I had found myself to the girl.

"Are you scared?" She chuckled, suddenly stopping and turning back to face me.

Her sudden action was unexpected I took a cautious step back. "So what if I am?" I asked not wanting to admit it. "Yes I am" the way she stayed quiet with an amused look on her face made me want to admit it.

"Shit I am too" the girl said shining her light around us, showing what we are surrounded by; Trees, very old trees. Their leafs and branches dangling lose making the forest appear much more frightening compared to it in the light of day. "I'm going to be honest. I do not know where I'm going" she said.

"You what?" I nearly yelled. The girl continued to look around after giving me a light smile that did not seem genuine at all.

"I'm joking. I do this all the time. What part of 'just trust me' did you not understand?" She began to walk away. I followed keeping a close distance. Our footsteps could be heard stepping on the leaves and branches.

"Maybe it was the 'I don't know where I'm going'" I mocked the tone she used simply to prove my point. All the girl did was chuckle and keep going.

We walked in silence exploring the very dark place. Although it's not somewhere I would feel genuinely safe in, for some reason, I know I am. After five minutes I wanted to go back. I had begun to yawn and the cold air wasn't doing my state any better. My body needed a break so I stopped walking for a second. Everything went dark out of nowhere and I couldn't see the girl anymore. It all fell silent as I stayed in my position feeling frightened.

"Not funny" I say knowing she's just messing around, like she always does. Although I sounded confident, I felt like running back to the light. The night fell dark and dead silent.

"Come on" I say raising my voice. I hate being alone in the dark. Well I hate being alone. It's unpredictable knowing who's hiding in the shadows, watching you, or what could possibly happen to a cold and extremely tired woman who's quivering underneath her clothing.

Slight panic rose witching me as I began to look around quickly, trying to find any glimpse of her. I know she is near by, she wouldn't dare go of and leave me. Right? My feet began to pace everywhere and my hands reached out in front of me not wanting to crash against a tree. My heart began to pound as my mind aimlessly thought of what had caused this terrifying fear in the first place. It made no sense, I have no reason to be afraid, yet I go back to being only eight years old, locked up in a dark and shrinking closet, with my own uncle.

I was a little girl, I didn't know anything. Much less that my uncle had any bad intentions. I barley recall the horrible pain he had brought me. But the feeling of those walls closing in around me as my innocent eight year old self couldn't breathe feeling so afraid was coming back. Two eyes appeared before mine, I realized they were his, this is all in my head. He is not here. He is locked up for what he tried to do. But those eyes only moved closer and closer slowly taking me back to that dark room feeling so helpless. The world began to spin as I desperately tried to get away from that place.