Chapter 2

Why are they looking at me like they've never seen someone shift before?? 

 "Because they've never seen someone shift into a white tiger before." a voice said, startling me. "Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to startle you. I'm Misty, your white tiger!"

 I smiled. "Nice to meet-Wait, what?!" I exclaimed, just now realizing she said white tiger. "B-but white tigers are extinct! My family are all wolves!" 

 Misty shook her head. "Long ago, before the white tigers went extinct, a white tiger and his mate had a baby. The baby was human like his mother. One day, they were attacked. The mother and baby were able to escape with their lives. Unfortunately, the father did not. You see, you are in the line of the white tiger. For 300 years, no white tigers were ever born...Until, you." I stared at Misty, my eyes wide. 

 I was snapped out of my daze by my dad saying my name. "Elena, could you shift back please..?" he sounded nervous. 

 I wasn't sure why he sounded nervous, but I did as he requested with Misty's help. To my surprise, I still had my clothes on. 

 "That's one good thing about our daughter being a white tiger." my dad stated, trying to be funny. I agreed, but really wondered what was bugging him and my mom. 

 We went inside the house and up to my room. I quickly changed before sitting down on my bed and facing my parents. 

 "Ok, why are you guys so nervous? What's wrong? Isn't it a good thing an extinct creature is back? Especially one so powerful?" I asked. My mom sighed and looked at my dad. My dad nodded before looking at me. 

 "It is a good thing, Elena. But, the Alpha of our pack....You know how power hungry he can be. He won't even allow any pack members to join another pack." he began. 

 My mother nodded in agreement before adding, "Alpha Richard is a descendent of a family of Alpha wolves who hates the white tigers. There have been some, like his father, who didn't mind them. As an Alpha, it's apart of their job to learn about the many different types of creatures. Including, extinct ones." 

 "No one really remembers the white tigers, but, there are a few who do. Like Alpha Richard. And, unfortunately, he doesn't like them. Elena, you need to keep the fact that you are a white tiger a secret. No one must know. It could put you in danger." 

 I nodded slowly, a little scared. "But...How do you guys know all this?" 

 "Well...Your mom told me most of it. The rest, I learned from observing from a distance." my dad explained. 

 "My father was a Gamma for another pack. He put my brother and I through training to become a Gamma, which is where I learned what I know now. I found your father a couple years after I turned sixteen and moved here with him. I never forgot what I learned, however." I nodded in understanding. I was nervous. Scared even. I'm in danger...?

 I went to school like everything was normal. I hung out with my friends and pretended like nothing happened. When they asked if I had shifted, I told them no, trying to sound convincing. Well, the day just seemed to drag on and on. I was counting the minutes till I could go home and hide in my room. Is that gonna be my life from now on..? Hiding from the world afraid they'll find out what I really am...? 

 It was an hour after dinner. I was reading a book in my room when my parents suddenly rushed in, panic all over their faces. "Mom? Dad? What's wrong?" I asked, putting my book down. 

 "You need to run. Get out out of here, Elena." mom spoke quickly, grabbing my pink backpack with purple flowers printed on it and stuffing some of my belongings inside. 

 "What?! Why?! What about you and dad??" I asked, my eyes wide. 

 "The Alpha knows. He's here with his warriors. Your mom and I don't need to read minds to know what he plans on doing with you." my dad told me, grabbing some of my books and stuffing them in a bag. I gulped in fear and looked out my window. I gasped as my dad pulled me away and held me by my shoulders. 

 "You need to run away from here. Go to your brother's pack. You can trust them." my mother told me. "We will try and stall the Alpha for time. Do you understand?" I nodded, tears rolling freely down my cheeks. My parents gave a sad smile, my mom brushing my tears away with her thumb as tears of her own fell. "We love you, honey. Remember, we'll always be with you." my mom told me. 

 I nodded, hugging them tight. "I love you, mom and daddy!" 

 "Here, sweetheart." my dad handed me my backpack and tote bag full of some of my stuff. 

 "And take these." my mom handed me her favorite necklace, while my dad handed me a tape. 

 "If I'm not there to see you get married. Play this at the reception."

 "Oh, daddy, don't say that!" I cried. 

 "Shh...Everything will be ok, my princess..." he whispered soothingly. 

"Now go. The backpack has been adjusted to fit your tiger. I hope it fits...You'll have to carry the bag in your mouth." my mom declared, helping me slip on my pack. 

 "What about the rest of my things?" I asked. 

 "You have to leave them behind...Maybe one day you can return. But for now, go. Go!" 

 I hurried down the stairs and quietly slipped out the back door. I turned to look back, waving goodbye to my mom and dad before shifting, picking up my tote bag in my mouth before running off. Goodbye, mom...Goodbye, daddy...Goodbye, friends...Goodbye, home....I could feel tears flying from my eyes as I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. 

 "I'm sorry, Elena..." Misty spoke softly, feeling my pain. It looked like she was trying to hold back tears of her own. 

 "I know...Thank you, Misty.." I gave her a sad smile before stopping short.

 I was at the edge of the pack. With one last look towards what I was leaving behind, I took a deep breath, and stepped into the woods. Rogue territory.