Chapter 61

Ash had finally calmed down. He leaned against me while I still had my arm around him. 

 "It's going to be alright now, Ash....I promise...No one should have to go through something like this alone...We're all here for you. If you'll just let them in. You don't have to go through this alone." I said quietly. "We all care about you. Even Caspian, I'm sure." I chuckled a little.

 "I don't know. Caspian's a little.....serious..." Ash remarked, giving a small smile. I smiled at him. That was the first time in a while I'd seen a smile on his face.

 "Maybe. But I'm sure he cares. He's more serious about royal duties and things like that than Kallan. He'll make a great ruler, that's for sure."

 Ash shrugged. "I always thought Kallan would be a good ruler. But, then again, sometimes I thought about...when he would take over the throne...If he did, we'd barely ever see each other...Same with Elanor. Even if we did both live in the Mystic Woods. Elves are separate from fairies. Even the royal elves. They'd both be busy with royal duties and...I'd be alone..."

 "They would always have time for you, Ash. You'll never be alone. And besides, Kallan and Elanor aren't going to be taking over any thrones. Unless something happens. But, even if something did happen, they would always find plenty of time for you. Besides, Elanor is seriously in love with you. She'd never let you go, even if she did become an Elf Queen." I laughed a little. 

Ash chuckled. "Well...I really love her too...I'd never let her go. But...I'd never make her choose between me and being queen..." It was nice hearing him laugh a little. I hadn't heard that in a while.

 "Even if she became queen, she'd still be willing to have you as her boyfriend. Always. Same for Kallan and Rose." 

 Ash chuckled. "They are head over heals in love with each other."

 "Yea, for sure." I chuckled. "Ash...Maybe you could go spend a little time with Elanor on the beach. If you feel up to it, anyway. And, maybe you can tell her what's going on. She's a better person to tell your troubles to than me. She can comfort and help you in a way I can't."

 Ash was silent a moment. "Ok....Can you help me...?"

 I smiled brightly at him. "Of course I can." I helped him up and we went outside. I grabbed his cup of water before we walked over to Elanor.

 When Elanor saw us, she smiled brightly. She quickly stood up and ran over, hugging Ash tightly. He was stunned, but quickly eased up in her embrace. "I love you, Ash.."

 "I love you too, firefly...I'm sorry I've been...distant with you.."

 "It's ok, Ash." the elf girl smiled at him. "Do you want to sit down?" Ash nodded and sat down beside Elanor. 

 "Well, I better go. I promised Jay and Charlie I'd meet them after training. Here's your water, Ash." I spoke up, smiling.

 "Thanks." he responded, taking the water. I smiled when I saw him drink some of it.

 "Thank you, Elena, for helping him." Elanor smiled up at me gratefully. 

 "It's no problem, Elanor. I'll see you all later." I waved goodbye and walked away towards the training field. Before I got very far, Ash called out to me.

 "Elena!" I turned and looked at him. "You can go ahead and tell them what I told you...." I nodded a little, giving a small smile. "And...Thanks for helping me..."

 "Of course, Ash." I replied. With that, I walked away.

 Jay and Charlie would be happy to know that Ash is alright. It might be difficult for Jay and Charlie to hear everything Ash told me. They've both had it kinda rough when it comes to family. But, I think they'll be alright. 

 I had finally made it to the training field. It looked like they had just gotten done training. Charlie wore a white tank top and shorts. Jay wore a pair of shorts but remained shirtless. I could feel my cheeks burning at the sight of my shirtless mate. Jeez, he was handsome....How can someone be this handsome?! 

 "Elena!" Charlie smiled when he saw me. He ran over and hugged me. 

 "Hey, Charlie! How was training?" I greeted.

 "It was good! I was learning how to do a sneak attack. Warrior Jeff and Kiera are really good at it!" I chuckled as I listened to him talk. He doesn't talk much, so I really found it amusing. 

 "Well, Jeff should be good at it. He spent years working on that one attack." Jay chuckled, walking over to us. He put his arm around me as he looked down at Charlie.

 "Ok, it wasn't years, Jay." Jeff remarked, walking over. Kiera followed close behind him. 

 "What do you call it then?" Jay laughed.

 "Ok...Maybe it was a couple years but still!" Jeff defended. We laughed. Jeff crossed his arms, pouting a little.

 Kiera chuckled. "It's alright. It took me a while to learn how to defend a sneak attack." She linked her arm with Jeff's. 

 Jeff smiled, putting his hand on hers. "I guess we all learn at our own pace. Right, Jay?"

 Jay rolled his eyes before turning to Charlie and I. "You both ready for lunch?"

 "I'm ready. All that training has made me hungry!" Charlie declared. 

 Jay and I chuckled. "You're always hungry, buddy." Jay ruffled the boy's hair. 

 "I'm pretty hungry myself." I smiled.

 "Ok then. We'll see you two later." Jay said, turning to Jeff and Kiera.

 "See you later, Jay!" Jeff waved, before walking away with Kiera.

 "Shall we?" Jay smiled at me, offering his arm to me. I chuckled and linked my arm with his. "So, how was Ash today?"

 "Better. Still weak, but better." I told him. I then proceeded to tell my two companions about what Ash had told me. 

 Their eyes were wide. "His family died...That's why he avoided drinking...?" Charlie asked, frowning.

 "Mhm...But I think he'll be alright. He's slowly letting people in. I only told you two because he said I could." I told him gently, my arm around him. "Now that's he's telling people what's bothering him, we can help him get through this. All of us."

 "Do you think Alec will want to help him?"

 "Charlie!" I scolded.

 "What? He's really...intimidating..." Charlie shrugged innocently. He still hasn't gotten used to Alec. He's pretty used to Kiera. It helps that she's friendlier than her brother.

 "Alec is just really quiet and shy. He went through a lot in his life." I said quietly.

 "She's right. He was alone more than you or me, bud. He doesn't mean to be so cold. It's just how he is. He isn't used to being around others. He only ever had Kiera." Jay agreed.

 Charlie looked down thoughtfully. "That's sad...What happened?"

 "I think you'd have to ask him that." I responded.

 Charlie nodded in understanding. "Maybe I could spend some time with him...Oh! We could play soccer together! Or train! Or even go to the cafe! Or-"

 Jay and I laughed at Charlie's enthusiasm. It warmed my heart to hear how excited he was at getting closer to Alec. Alec has tried hard to make more friends. But, it's not easy for him. It's obvious he's much more comfortable with Vicky around. I know with time, however, he'll get there.