Chapter 57

Maybe an hour or two later, Doctor Robert and his mate, Doctor Maya, the two that had taken care of me when I first arrived here, came walking over to us. Elanor stood up quickly, nearly knocking her chair over. "How is he?? Is Ash alright??"

 "He's alright. He's resting now. He's very lucky. I've never seen that kind of dehydration before, but, then again, I've never worked with a fire fairy before either." Maya remarked with a slight chuckle at the end. 

 "Can we see him..?" Charlie asked quietly.

 Robert nodded in reply. "Yes, you can. But be gentle with him, alright?"

 "We will. Thank you, doctor." Jay nodded.

 "Of course, Gamma Jay. My mate will show you his room. I have another patient to tend to." Robert replied before kissing Maya's cheek and walking away.

 Maya smiled, blushing a bit before looking at us. "Right this way." She lead us down the hallway to Ash's room. I gave a small gasp as I looked through the window. Jay took me in his arms, holding me close and taking in my scent. Elanor had tears in her eyes. Maya sighed, frowning. "He's alright, don't worry...I know it looks bad. We had to give him oxygen to help him breathe. And we're giving him plenty of fluids. We'll be monitoring him closely over the next couple days."

 Jay didn't say anything. If he did, it would've come out the wrong way, I'm sure. But, that's only because he's frustrated, scared, and worried about the fairy boy. Kallan nodded in response to Maya's words. "Thank you, doctor...We'll call you if we need anything."

 Maya nodded, smiling. "Alright then."  She opened the door for us before walking away. I kept close to Jay and Charlie, trying to keep the three of us calm. Elanor instantly hurried in and sat down beside his bed, taking his hand in hers. He was sound asleep but that didn't stop her from talking to him.

 "I'm so glad you're alright, Ash...You scared me half to death! Are you ok, my love...? What's bothering you...? Just...talk to me..." Elanor had tears rolling freely down her cheeks as she tried to keep herself from crying. "I hate this! Whenever I try to be strong, I just end up crying!"

 Rose and Kallan immediately hugged her, trying to comfort her. I tried swallowing the lump in my throat, trying to hold back my tears, but I was failing.

 "We'll be right back. Charlie, stay here, alright?" Jay spoke up suddenly.

 "Ok. What's wrong?" Charlie asked.

 "Nothing. We're just gonna go get a little air. We'll be right back." Jay replied before taking my hand and leading me outside. Once we were outside the hospital, he took me in his arms, holding me close. 

 I cried on his shoulder, hugging him just as close, leaving no space between us. "Why do bad things always happen to those I care about...?? Why....?? I can't stand it, Jay!"

 "I know, beauty, I know.....It's ok...Just let it out...I'm here..." Jay whispered soothingly. 

 When I finally calmed down, we sat down in the grass. I remained in Jay's comforting embrace. "Thank you, Jay...I'm sorry you had to see that...I don't know what came over me...."

 "It's ok, beauty...Don't apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for. I understand...I hate this too...I can't stand it when the people I care about are hurt in any way....It's ok to get emotional...Especially when something like this happens. You have every right to be upset." Jay said reassuringly.

 "Thank you, Jay....I love you...So much..." I whispered, resting my head on his shoulder.

 "I love you too, Elena."

 *A Few Hours Later*

 Ash awoke, groggy and confused. And, when he realized where he was, he actually started freaking out. Elanor was trying to calm him down.

 "Ash! Calm down!" Elanor exclaimed.

 "Get me out of here, Elanor!"

 "You need to rest and be taken care of, Ash. We can't just get you out of here." Rose remarked.

 "I don't care! Just get me-"

 "Do I need to get the nurse?" Jay asked, his arms crossed. 

 Ash sunk back in the bed. "No..." 

 "Good. Now, why don't you tell us what happened?" 

 "W-what do you mean...?" Ash asked quietly. His voice sounded scratchy and hoarse.  

 "You know what I mean, Ash." Jay said in a firm, frustrated tone. 

 I put my hand on his arm, looking at him. "Calm down, Jay." I said quietly before turning to the fire fairy. "Ash, we just want to know about...why and how you got so dehydrated. What happened before I got there?"

 Ash closed his eyes like he was trying to block out a memory. "It was...scary...All of a sudden I couldn't breathe...It felt like...my chest was closing up...I've never been so scared....So weak...I just...collapsed...I tried calling for Elanor...But I could barely speak..."

 "We found him on the floor, barely conscious...Struggling to breathe...I went to get help. That's when I found you." Kallan told us. 

 Jay nodded in understanding. "Were you getting enough fluids?" 

 "Um...M-maybe not as much as I should have..." Ash said quietly. He looked away from us.

 "Why, Ash...? What's wrong...? You never forget to drink...." Elanor spoke quietly, her hand holding his.

 "You think I purposely did this..??" Ash looked at her. He tried to look frustrated and upset. But I could see something in his eyes. Something that made me wonder...Did he do this on purpose...?