Chapter 53

Jay and I sat in Joseph's office. Janie stood just behind him, her hand on his shoulder. We'd already asked about Charlie and what happened to him. We were told he was sent to the orphanage. My heart hurt for the poor boy. 

 "Why are you asking about Young Charles?" Joseph asked curiously.

 "We want to adopt him." Jay answered bluntly. I nearly choked on my saliva, a little shocked at his bluntness. 

 Joseph and Janie stared at Jay and I. An awkward silence filled the room. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. "Joseph....?" I spoke quietly, finally breaking the silence.

 "You want to adopt the boy??" Joseph asked in disbelief.

 "Yes, Joseph." Jay nodded. "He's been in and out of orphanages since he was a young child. After being adopted by Alpha Richard, he's sent back because the Alpha was killed. He's...never had the love and family he deserves. Elena and I want to give that to him. We want him to have a home, family, and love."

 Janie and Joseph looked at each other. I sighed and spoke up. "Even when Alpha Richard took him in, I don't think he really had that love, home, or family he needed...He was only adopted because he needed an heir...I always felt bad for him. I always cared about him. I never really got to know him but still..."

 Joseph looked up at Janie, who nodded slowly. He looked back at us and cleared his throat. "I understand you're reasons for wanting to adopt him. But you both are young and not even married yet."

 "We are aware, Joseph." Jay stated, his arms crossed.

 "What I am asking is, are you absolutely sure you want to do this? Adopting a child is a big responsibility. Do you really think you can handle this?"

 Jay and I looked at each other. We smiled and nodded. Jay took my hand in his before looking back at Joseph. "Yes, I do."

 Joseph and Janie smiled. "Well, alright then." Joseph replied simply. 

 "We will get the papers ready and inform the head of the orphanage." Janie told us.

 Jay nodded. "Thank you. But, if it's alright, we'd like to talk to the boy first. We want his opinion."

 Joseph smiled. "Of course. I'll call the director and tell her you're coming. You can use my car. Just, please, don't crash it, Jay."

 "I did that once, Joseph!" Jay defended. Janie and I rolled our eyes.

 "You totaled the car! I had to get a new one!" Joseph exclaimed. 

 "It was an accident!"

 "You didn't slow down at the curb!!"

 "Ok, why don't we continue this conversation another time, yes?" Janie requested. "The baby and I really don't want to hear this story again."

 "Neither do I." I remarked.

 The boys rolled their eyes, their arms crossed. Their acting like little kids fighting over a toy. Joseph handed Jay the keys to the car reluctantly. We thanked them, said goodbye, and left. We got into the car and buckled our seat belts. Jay started the car and looked at me. I could see he was thinking the same thing I was. This car ride was going to be one that would change both our lives forever. 

 We drove in silence for about half an hour. Finally, Jay broke the silence. "How do you think he's going to react to us wanting to adopt him...?"

 I was silent a moment, pondering his question. "I don't know. Charlie may have given up on finding his family...I hope not. I hope he's still hoping. But, I do think he'll be surprised and happy...Unless Alpha Richard treated him like he was nothing, then we might have to be careful with him."