Chapter 42

"I'm going to take this up to Jay, if it's alright." I told Janie. I had already placed some eggs and waffles on a tray. Along with a couple cups of hot chocolate.

 "Oh, sure! Go ahead." Janie smiled, nodding. "I used to surprise Joseph with breakfast in bed when he overslept. Still do." she chuckled. "It's always a fun surprise for him."

 I smiled and nodded. "It sounds like it. I'll see you later, Janie." Janie nodded and I walked away, carrying the tray. I was trying my best to suppress my feelings but I wasn't doing very well. 

 When I got into the room, Jay was sitting up in bed yawning. I chuckled a little at his groggy state. He looked cute, to be honest. His messy hair, that was like the icing on the cake. I put the tray on the bedside table and kissed his cheek. That seemed to wake up him. Jay smile at me and pulled me into his arms.

 "Good morning, Jay," I said quietly.

 "Good morning, beauty." Jay whispered into my ear. He then pulled away slightly, looking at me with a frown on his face. "What's wrong, Elena?" My eyes went wide. How did he know something was bothering me? 

 "You forgot to shut off the link to our emotions." Misty remarked. Oops. So much for trying not to worry my mate and acting normal.

 "Elena, what's wrong? Your emotions are all over the place. Ranging from fear to guilt. What is going on?" Jay held my hands tightly, looking at me with a firm expression.

 I sighed heavily. "I'll tell you..." I said in a quiet tone. I wasn't going to tell him about Janie's baby. She was trusting me not to tell anyone and I couldn't betray that trust. "I'm scared, Jay...The war is coming soon. Perhaps sooner than we think. It could come while we're sitting here eating breakfast for all we know! And...I can't help but feel like it's my fault..."

 "Why, Elena?? It is not your fault." Jay said quickly, frowning.

 "But it is, Jay. If I hadn't come here, then no one in this pack would be in danger. You wouldn't be in danger. I love you, Jay....I love this pack....But I'm a danger to it..."

 "If you hadn't come here, you would have died. We never would have met. We are a strong pack. We have strong warriors and our new friends are strong in their abilities. This is not your fault. If you want to blame someone, blame that pathetic excuse of an alpha. I do not regret you coming here. I do not regret marking you. I do not regret meeting you. And I most definitely do not regret loving you. You are mine, Elena. I believe we can win this war. Some may be hurt, and some may be killed, yes. But I believe we can do it. With you by my side, I feel as though I can do anything. If you had died, the White Tigers would be extinct. And they would most likely never come back. The White Tigers were and still are an amazing species. You are strong and powerful, Elena. You're stubborn. The race of the White Tiger is meant to live on through you." Jay spoke softly. I could see in his eyes he was being genuine.

 "I just wish I didn't put you all at risk.." I said quietly.

 "I think we would've been at risk even if you hadn't come." I looked up at him, a little confused. "Kian is your brother. Alpha Richard isn't a complete idiot. He might have thought that you were here because your brother is here. No matter where you went, you would have been at risk. Those around you would have been at risk. You know as well as I do, Elena, that Alpha Richard will not stop at anything until he destroys you. He will destroy those close to you if it means getting to you."

 I nodded slowly. I guess he was right...No one would be safe. As long as I'm alive. And, if I died, Jay would've been alone in his life. He'd have continued training like a maniac till it killed him. The White Tigers would have been extinct. Never to come back. An amazing species that never should have gone extinct would have been gone. Forever.

 I smiled and kissed my mate's cheek. "Thank you, Jay...I love you."

 "I love you too, beauty..." Jay whispered, his forehead resting against mine.

 "Does this mean we aren't leaving?" Misty asked hopefully.

 "Yes, Misty...It does...This pack would be attacked anyway, even if I left. I have faith we can protect the pack. We're meant to be here with our mate by our side." Misty smiled brightly at my words and let a loud, joyful howl. I chuckled a little.

 "Let's eat. Janie and I made some waffles and eggs. I hope you like them." I replied, letting go of our embrace.

 "I'm sure I will." Jay replied, smiling at me. I got the tray and set it on the bed. I sat down beside Jay, eating, talking, and laughing with him. Honestly, I could definitely get used to this.

 Just as we had finished eating, Kallie burst into my room. She looked worried. "Have either of you seen Vicky?"

 I frowned and shook my head. I looked over at Jay, who was frowning as well. "No we haven't. Why?" Jay asked.

 "Because I can't find her!" Kallie's eyes were wide in panic.

 I quickly stood up, placing my hands on her shoulders. "Deep breaths, Kal...It's ok...We'll find her. She couldn't have gone far. Maybe she went to find Alec."

 Kallie nodded slowly. "You're right, Elena...." 

 Just then, Robert popped his head in the doorway. "Cupcake, she's back." Kallie breathed a sigh of relief but it didn't last long. "She's in our room with Alec. I think something's wrong with him."

 Our eyes went wide. I looked at Jay. I could tell he was just as concerned as I was. We quickly went to Kallie and Robert's room. Vicky was sitting on the bed, Alec lying on her lap, covered in a blanket. He looked a little paler than usual. And that's saying something, seeing as he's a vampire with pale skin. Vicky looked a little worried as she stroked his short reddish-black hair.

 "Vicky?" I asked quietly.

 She looked up at me. "I should have insisted he come with me last night...It was too cold for even a vampire out there..." she said in a quiet voice. 

 I frowned, looking at Jay. He looked concerned. I walked over and knelt down in front of the bed, placing my hand on Alec's forehead. He seemed a little warm. Which I don't think is normal for a vampire. From what I've learned with Kiera, they're usually pretty cold. That's their normal. I looked back at my mate. "He feels pretty warm. I think he has a fever." I mind-linked him. 

 Jay nodded, frowning. "I'll get a doctor and Kiera. Perhaps they'll be able to help." With that, Jay left the room. 

 "I hope he's getting the pack doctor. The pack doctor is usually the best doctor in the pack. Head of the hospital." Vicky mumbled.

 I stood up and sat beside her, putting my arm around her. "It'll be alright, Vicky. Alec will be fine...All our doctors are very good at what they do. No matter who he gets, Alec will be in good hands."

 "That is, if a wolf doctor can help a vampire." Robert stated, his arms crossed. He had a serious look on his face. "A human doctor is trained to help humans. A wolf doctor is trained to help werewolves. Alec is a vampire who doesn't live with other vampires. He's basically an outcast. It'd be hard to locate a doctor who can help him."

 "Robert, all doctors are skilled. Wolf doctors can ofttimes help any creature." Kallie spoke up.

 "But he has a point." Vicky said softly, looking down at her sleeping mate. "It depends sometimes...For example, if a wolf was suffering from silver or wolf's bane, a human doctor couldn't help them..."

 "It'll be alright, Vicky...Please don't be so negative..." Kallie pleaded.

 "But what if a sick vampire is serious?? What if it kills him??!" I have never seen Vicky like this before. Well, then again, I've never seen her worry about her sick mate before either.

 "Vicky, calm down. He'll be fine...Just have a little hope, ok?" I whispered.

 Vicky nodded slowly, taking a deep breath. "You're right...Sorry...I'm just a little overwhelmed, I guess..."

 "It's alright...I understand..." I gave her a small smile, before looking down at Alec. I do hope he's alright. Vicky is right. We don't know how serious illness affects his kind. It could be serious. I just hope it isn't...