Chapter 10

It's been a few days, and Jay still hasn't woken up. His fever has come down a good amount. Still there, but it isn't as bad as it was. I've been to visit him every day. Kian has to drag me back basically every time visiting hours end. Honestly right now, I wouldn't mind them extending the hours.

 I was about to brush my hair and style it for the day, when my brother came bursting into my room. "Kian? Is everything alright?" I asked. 

 He was panting and trying to catch his breath. "Jay...He's awake!" My eyes went wide at his announcement. "Go. I know you want to shift. I'll meet you there with the others." he smiled at me. 

 "Thanks, big brother!" I hugged him before shifting and running off as fast as I could.

 When I finally got there, I shifted back and went to the nurse's desk to make sure I could go visit him. She nodded and smiled at me. I smiled, thanking her before hurrying to Jay's room. I opened his door and went inside. He turned his head to look at me as I approached his bed. 

 "Elena..." he said in a quiet voice. 

 "Jay..." I spoke, taking his hand. "Why would you do this?? You could have died training as hard as you did! Do you know how stupid that was?? Do you know how worried you made your friends?? Do you know how worried you made me....?" Tears streamed down my cheeks at I looked at him. He looked so broken...

 "I'm sorry, my beauty..." he said softly. 

 I sat down in the chair beside the bed and looked him in the eye. "Jay, I know your afraid of something...I know you don't feel strong enough a lot of the time....I know you've had a hard past...Jay, please tell me....I am your mate. I will be there to comfort you when you need it..." 

Jay sighed, tears rolling down his cheeks as he finally spoke, his voice cracking. "My family died because I wasn't strong enough to protect them....My father...My sister...My twin brother....My mother....They died in a rogue attack because I wasn't strong enough....My siblings didn't even get to find their mates...So, ever since, I trained hard. Especially after I became Gamma. I'm protective over those I care about. Those I consider family. I failed again...I couldn't protect your parents...I only ever spoke to them on the phone or saw them on face time, but I liked them. I considered them family, not just because I liked them, but because they were yours' and Kian's parents. You both loved them so much....I figured if I trained harder, I could beat that jerk of an Alpha to less than a pulp. Punish him for what he's done. Prove to you I am worthy of your love...That I will be your knight in shining amor.." 

 My eyes were wide. For a moment, I couldn't find any words. But finally, I spoke. "Jay, you never failed me or Kian....It wasn't your fault. And training yourself to death is not going to teach Alpha Richard how wrong he is. It's only gonna give him more of an advantage because you won't be in any condition to fight! Of course training is important. But so is taking care of yourself. Rest, keeping hydrated, eating well. Not to mention a break once in a while would help ease stress. It wasn't your fault your family died....They were rogues...Rogues are strong and tough opponents." 

 "But maybe if I had been stronger-" 

 "No! Even if you had been stronger they could've died. You won't always be able to protect everyone. Your family, my parents, our friends, me...Jay, you could have died too. But you didn't. You escaped with your life. The thing to do now, is think about what they would want. Live for them. Don't train yourself to death because you feel guilty about not being able to prevent their death. Live for yourself..." He looked up at me, his head against the pillow. "And Jay, I never needed a knight in shining armor. All I ever needed, was you, my mate. You've never needed to prove yourself to me...I don't know how you got that idea or the idea you had to be some knight in shining armor. I already love you. Not because your strong, fast, and agile. Not because your smart or the Gamma. But because you are you. I don't want or need a knight in shining armor. All I want and need, is you, Jay." I leaned down and kissed his forehead. "I'm telling you the truth, Jay," I told him in a soft voice. 

 He sighed and shut his eyes, running his hand through his hair. He then looked back up at me. "I guess your right, Elena...I have been stupid...I'm sorry, beauty..." 

 "It's alright, Jay.." I smiled at him and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. 

 "Thank you..." he said quietly, a small smile resting on his handsome face. 

 "Your welcome, my mate...I love you." I replied. 

 "I love you too..."